Euro dairy products

Search

Euro dairy products

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30th, 2003, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Euro dairy products

My wife would love to bring back some cheese and yogurts from Europe which are sealed. I have looked in the USDA and US Customs Service websites for guidance on what is and is not allowed but I cannot seem to find the pertinent links. Does anyone have a lead? I know there was a crackdown on imports during the foot and mouth disease outbreak two years ago, therefore I would like to be sure. Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 30th, 2003, 03:46 PM
ira

Hi Franto,

This link will provide more information:

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/ppq/manual...03-14-Milk.pdf

It appears that cheese and yogurt from Europe are permitted.

We recntly brought back som Parmigiano cheese from Italy with no trouble.
Old Nov 30th, 2003, 04:13 PM

We used to bring back/mail back hard cheeses such as gouda when I was stationed in Belgium. They were sealed in a wax substance. Soft cheeses, such as brie and goat cheeses, were always forbidden, so I can assume that yogurts would fall into the same category. I don't think it has changed since the early 90's, especially with all the agricultural restructions.

Ira, Parmigiano cheese is considered a "hard" cheese, so you shouldn't have had a problem.

It's a shamed, because some of the best french cheese are soft cheese.
Old Nov 30th, 2003, 04:32 PM

Every time I go to Paris, I bring back Brie and even butter. The Brie is packaged in the small round wooden containers, but the butter is just like I buy here. There is a great little grocery store in the airport where I buyeverything - even bread made that day. Enjoy!
Old Nov 30th, 2003, 04:45 PM
ira

>...Parmigiano cheese is considered a "hard" cheese, so you shouldn't have had a problem.

It's a shamed\, because some of the best french cheeses are soft cheese.<

Aye, t'is true t'is pity, and pity t'is t'is true.
Old Nov 30th, 2003, 04:46 PM
dln

We too have brought back cheese (Parmesan-Reggiano) from Italy, sealed/vacuum packed. No problem.

Old Nov 30th, 2003, 06:09 PM

Aside from the link Ira gave, which is probably most specific, this kind of information is on the Customs web site -- just go to the leaving and returning section, then prohibited and reghulated items/food sections for specifics.
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 09:12 AM

We used to hide our soft raw-milk cheeses when coming back from Europe but have not done so in the last two trips. Our paté was confiscated, but the cheeses completely disregarded. It appears that cheeses for personal consumption are allowed. Many good cheese shops in Paris will vacuum seal the cheese for traveling. That said, I do not advertise the fact that I am bringing in cheese.
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 09:19 AM
BLN

I emailed APHIS about this very subject last week and rec'd this response on 11/25/03:

"Cheese in amounts for personal consumption may be brought into the United States without a permit, provided that the cheese is solid (not in a liquid, such as cottage cheese), and doesn't contain any meat, vegetables, or fruit."

I brought Parmesan and Pecorino back from Italy this weekend and declared it (of course!) and U.S. Customs did ask me if it was sealed and if I had any other food, but when I said it was just hard cheese and vacuum-packed they said fine and waved me through (no further discussion or a look in my bags, etc).
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 04:41 PM
SFDink

What's the best way to store cheese that's been vacuum sealed? Is freezing it a possiblity? I have a large assortment (soft, hard, chevre, etc.) that I brought back from Paris and would like to make it last. How long will it keep or should I eat it as soon as possible?

Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 06:18 PM
dln

SFDink, I thought yours was a pretty interesting question so I went to Yahoo and plugged in "storing cheese." You wouldn't believe how many hits it came up with. Take a look and you'll have your answer. I brought home some nice chunks of Parmesan and Pecorino and it disappeared all too fast!

Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 07:08 PM

Umm, this must sound awfully stupid - but I can get all kinds of European cheeses here in the States, Why would you want to pack cheese into your luggage? Where does it go? Between the socks and underwear?

Yes the soft cheeses are wonderful. We have stores like Cosentino's, Lunardi's, and Whole Foods with a fantastic variety of all kinds of cheeses. The other day I even found a Port Salut in Beverages and More, the last place to think of for cheese!
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 07:15 PM
dln

Easytraveler, there's a world of difference in the European cheese you actually buy in Europe, versus the stuff they export to us. It simply tastes better, not to mention that it costs a whole lot less! The Pecorino cheese can cost well over $15/pound here for the best quality; significantly less purchased at its source. Wine is the same, and that's why people lug bottles of it home from Europe when they could, as you've pointed out, buy the same product locally.

Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 08:00 PM

dln: Thanks for the explanation!

You'll get no argument from me on that, yes, the cheese and wine do taste much better over there!

Except for one bottle of Tokay I've never succeeded in bringing any wine back - it gets drunk OVER THERE at friends' homes! LOL!

Recently I've found that I can't get schinkenspeck any more because the US won't let it in. This and the better taste in cheese and wine just means that I'll have to go back to Europe VERY SOON!

Thanks again!
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 06:55 AM
ira

Hi SFD,

Good question.

I have Parmigiano Reggiano in the freezer. It does well. After it thaws it will have a slightly oily feel, but that goes away when exposed to air. The taste and the grating characteristics are not affected.

I have found that Swiss Cheeses (Emmenthal and Gruyere) do not freeze well. Although they keep their flavor, they get all crumbly. This is true of Jarlsberg and Cheddar, too.

I learned from Mrs Beaton's "Book of Household Management" (1898) that these cheeses can be kept by wrapping them in a cloth moistened with vinegar. You can put them in a plastic bag to keep the fridge from smelling.

Soft cheeses do not freeze well at all. They lose texture and flavor.

Hope this helps.
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 08:15 AM

Freezing a soft ripening cheese will kill its development. I once bought an Epoisse in the States that had been kept at a temperature that was too low and it never ripened even though I left it out for more than a day. When purchasing a soft cheese in France, ask for one that will be ready for the day you want. A good cheese man will be able to sell you a camembert, for example, that is ripe or will be ripe in two, three days or even a week.