Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Eurail pass - Rail Europe - Budget travel - Italy Pass (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/eurail-pass-rail-europe-budget-travel-italy-pass-930349/)

pookymimi Apr 4th, 2012 06:30 PM

Eurail pass - Rail Europe - Budget travel - Italy Pass

I purchased an Italy pass for my children and I, and I highly recommend anybody who is considering buying any pass to do a lot of comparison.

Eurail was my first option as I purchased our pass from them in 2010. But, when I went to buy the pass after 10 days it had gone up about $120. Eurail raises its prices every 5-10 days, starting at $650 and this week $780.

I went to 4 companies and put the same options and prices varied from $650 to $800.

I ended up buying it through Rail Europe this time for $652 compared to $780 Eurail.

nytraveler Apr 4th, 2012 06:37 PM

If you had asked here first many people would have told you that passes are rarely a good deal for train travel - individual tickets are almost always less costly.

pookymimi Apr 4th, 2012 07:10 PM

"nytraveler on Apr 4, 12 at 8:37pm

If you had asked here first many people would have told you that passes are rarely a good deal for train travel - individual tickets are almost always less costly."

Not in our case, the pass in 2010 was the best option for us, much cheaper as we are 4. The price of the pass equals the price of one train trip for all of us, so it's a no brainer to me.

adrienne Apr 4th, 2012 07:21 PM

You purchased an Italy pass for Spain?

janisj Apr 4th, 2012 07:39 PM

"<i>Not in our case, the pass in 2010 was the best option for us, much cheaper as we are 4. </i>"

huh? That would seem to even more reason to not use one. A Eurail 'family pass' is really just the regular full price for each adult and a bit over 1/2 price for each kid. Point to point tickets will usually cost less

pookymimi Apr 4th, 2012 07:53 PM

Our pass is for 3 days for 4 people $600.
Tickets from Venice to Naples for the 4 is $600 = one trip/one day.

I clicked on Italy and got posted in Spain.

pookymimi Apr 4th, 2012 07:56 PM

I really don't understand why people are so against the Train passes.

Per our experience was the best cost effective tool in 2010, although I had to pay reservations in some days, our tickets in the Ferry from Barcelona to Civitavecchia was $100 less thanks to the pass. Train inspectors were more lenient when I made mistakes and it worked so well when we were in a rush.

mjdh1957 Apr 5th, 2012 12:38 AM

Well, if you think it worked for you, then it worked for you.

But in general, passes are expensive, not as flexible as they claim and rarely good value compared to planning in advance and buying the cheaper tickets.

But if you just want to pitch up and go on the next train, then maybe a pass might work compared to the more expensive on-the-day fares.

As always, it pays to do your own research.