Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   eurail global pass saver (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/eurail-global-pass-saver-361123/)

MomDDTravel May 15th, 2008 12:54 PM

eurail global pass saver

I have one for my daughter and myself - valid for 10 days in two months.

I am traveling on the Eurostar from London to Brussels.

Should I "check" passholder? I cannot wade through the information to find the right answer.

MomDDTravel May 15th, 2008 08:14 PM

trying again..ttt

scatcat May 15th, 2008 08:34 PM

I have never traveled on Eurostar before, but in my Eurail Traveler's Guide it does say that you get a discount. So I'm not sure the correct way of doing this.

MomDDTravel May 15th, 2008 08:46 PM

thanks scatcat..

GeoffHamer May 16th, 2008 01:11 AM

Yes, the "passholder" fare is the discounted fare for people with rail passes.

MomDDTravel May 16th, 2008 06:30 AM

thank you!

PalenQ May 16th, 2008 06:42 AM

Passholder fares are sold in tiered prices, from around $90 up to around $140 with a certain number of seats in each category, etc.

Thus a passholder fare may not always be the cheapest as some Leisure non pass related fares could be cheaper

so check both with a pass

and without a pass

Brussels trains are generally more available as per cheaper tickets

and sometimes weirdly a pass fare in 1st class could be as cheap as the cheapest standard class fare or just a few bucks more - then well worth it for the fine complimentary meal with loads of wine, Champagne you get served at your seat

your daughter may find a non-pass related youth fare to be the cheapest of all.

MomDDTravel May 16th, 2008 06:46 AM

You were who I was looking for PalenQ. When we were in Italy last year, I purchased some ticket for my daughter through the machine to get from Florence to Pisa and back (oh what a lovely train that was - NOT), I have no idea WHAT I purchased but whatever it was the conductor said it was not valid - it turned into a real mess with me digging for Euros.

I want to be sure what I "click" on is the right thing.

I will be sure to check both ways.

Thank you as always!

PalenQ May 16th, 2008 06:54 AM

where are you 'clicking' - what site or what do you mean by clicking?

As with any eurostar ticket the farther you reserve in advance the much greater chance of getting the lowest of the multi-tiered fares so i always suggest booking these ASAP

and a passholder fare has much better conditions than the Leisure fares as pass fare is changeable once in London without penalty up until the time of the train whereas Leisure is non refundable or changeable

that said changing a pass fare on Eurostar is subject to another seat in that fare category being available when you want to go - may not be and you'd face paying a higher fare.

book early - as usual i always recommend calling Byron at BETS 800-441-2387 as he IME will do a manual search of RailEurope's Eurostar fares as raileurope.com does not IME always show all the fares that are indeed at times possible manually thru RE. I'm not sure if or how you book a pass holder fare for Eurostar on www.eurostar.com - in pounds for pick up in London or if it's possible. It's possible in person in London but more expensive as cheaper pass fares may well be gone. IME pass fares in London have been correspondingly more expensive than thru RE - but have not checked lately

MomDDTravel May 16th, 2008 07:16 AM

I was looking at the Rail Europe site.

I already have a pass that I purchased through Rick Steves site. (I enjoyed the three questions I got to ask as well with the purchase) - I now need the Eurostar tickets from London to Brussels as I have decided to spend the night in London instead of flying to Brussels from LHR.

I will call the number you have suggested. I also need tickets for 6 persons on December 27 from Paris with return the next evening (to London).

PalenQ May 28th, 2008 08:18 AM

Too bad Rick Steves don't do reservations of any kind but refers you to Raileurope - then you have to pay RE's mailing fee which would have been included in RickSteve's mailing fee if they had done them. And of course some agents, including RE if order is high enough, don't charge any mailing fee.