EU travel now Brexit done

Old Jan 10th, 2021, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EU travel now Brexit done

Hoping someone will be able to help or advise on where I can find the answer to the following. Between April to Oct I sail on various cruiselines (when operating) branding products within the giftshops. The places I travel to are UK, France, Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Poland, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, Russia, Norway, Finland, and Sweden. The cruiseslast 7 - 14 days and the longest I am in the same port is for 3 days, before moving onto the next. I am not on any crew list as i do not work for the cruiseline, so I am manifested as a passenger. Question, UK is now out of EU and im reading that we can only visit any EU for a max of 90 days out of 180... I have worked it out I am in EU port(s) for around 130-150 days, during my contract.. Even with applying for a multi-visa schengen visa, it would only still be the 90 days... I have a UK passport, but im also a permanent resident of Bulgaria, where I have a resident ID card. Can I use the ID card to board and use for visiting the EU countries and my passport for Russia, which I have to get visa's for anyways, then not using the 90 days limit... If not anyone got any ideas?, many thanks and stay safe
Old Jan 10th, 2021, 09:18 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Brexit is not really your probelm at the moment. We have to get through Covid-19 first.
Old Jan 10th, 2021, 09:42 AM

I think you'll need to use your passport. Will you actually be working on shore or only at sea? Do you have to disembark at every port?
Old Jan 10th, 2021, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

To true, hoping and praying things calm down with all of these vaccines out, that things will start going back to some type of normality..
Old Jan 10th, 2021, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

@ nonconformist2, many thanks for reply... to answer your question, I only work when the shops open so only at sea, and not on-shore, due to customs regulations ... But i will be visiting these countries as a visitor (Passenger Manifest), so that's why Im thinking that I will be over the 90 days out of 180 days... I do go onshore in the ports as a visitor when I go there, so that's why I was asking if I could use my ID card as Bulgaria is part of the EU and only use my passport for Russian... That way Im not in the 90 days area..

Last edited by BPSneddon; Jan 10th, 2021 at 09:54 AM.
Old Jan 10th, 2021, 10:32 AM

Landing rights of passengers, crew and others on board a ship are governed by shore leave regulations, not by usual Schengen rules. Provided your details are listed on a ship's manifest, as they should be, what you are trying to do is legal, provided you are returning to the ship before sailing and you aren't going to engage in employment or business on shore. Your passport won't be stamped.

Last edited by Alec; Jan 10th, 2021 at 10:35 AM.
Old Jan 10th, 2021, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

@ Alec, Many thanks for the detailed reply. So just to confirm due to the landing rights and shore leave regulations, as long as im on the passenger manifest (which I will be) and return and leave with the ship on departure, the 90 days out of 180 will not affect me.. If that's so its excellent news, as once the ships do start operating again, i can continue doing a job I've been doing for over 30 years and love.
Old Jan 10th, 2021, 12:25 PM

Received 42 Likes on 2 Posts
I have no advice to offer but would like to just add that your job sounds interesting. I do hope you are able to continue doing something that you love soon.
Old Jan 10th, 2021, 03:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It sounds like a great job. @Alec, good advice.
Old Jan 14th, 2021, 02:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My first thought was your employer should be able to work out a visa for you. But someone has provided the answer which is great. It does sound like a dream job with all that travel on cruise ships (apart from the obvious COVID issues) but I don't understand what the job is? What do you mean by branding? People's initials on bags? Engraving jewellery? Or have I got it totally wrong?
Old Jan 14th, 2021, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by KayF View Post
It does sound like a dream job with all that travel on cruise ships (apart from the obvious COVID issues) but I don't understand what the job is? What do you mean by branding? People's initials on bags? Engraving jewellery? Or have I got it totally wrong?
The OP probably works at the shops onboard selling high end branded products. Customs regulations stipulate they stay closed when the ship is in port, which is why the OP is able to go ashore, but itís back to work once the ship is sailing.