Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   EU flights - do they really feed you a MEAL??? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/eu-flights-do-they-really-feed-you-a-meal-1008783/)

suec1 Mar 18th, 2014 04:45 AM

EU flights - do they really feed you a MEAL???

It's been awhile since we took a flight between two European cities - we will fly from AMS to IST on KLM. We fly mid-day. The airline website (DL with a KLM flight) notes "meal service" - so should I expect the opportunity to purchase a sad snack / meal or possibly a real meal? and as in the olden days, adult beverage? We will be in the airport on a 3 hr. layover so we could either eat there or purchase take-on which I'm sure would be tastier than anything onboard. THANKS!

IMDonehere Mar 18th, 2014 04:50 AM

We took a flight from Cappadocia to Istanbul on Air Turkey and received a sandwich and a drink for less than a two hour flight.

Tulips Mar 18th, 2014 04:52 AM

Some airlines give you a meal or snack. I would eat at Schiphol if I were you, though! It's a nice airport with lots of options for food.

adrienne Mar 18th, 2014 04:52 AM

I've only had snacks (sad snack is a good description) on mid day flights within Europe (small sandwich and pastry or fruit). I guess it depends on the airline and the length of flight but I would guess it's not a full meal since the distance is not far. If you think you'll need sustenance, have something at the airport. Airline meals are something I could easily forgo; you're better off eating at the airport.

Dukey1 Mar 18th, 2014 04:57 AM

AMS to IST is a flight of exactly what length of time?

hetismij2 Mar 18th, 2014 05:02 AM

It will be a free snack, or maybe a cardboard sandwich if you are lucky (!), and a drink.
You can have a beer or a soft drink or of course tea or coffee. They usually offer refills of the drinks if they have time. Not sure about wine, but that usually isn't worth drinking anyway.
If you fly the KLM Europe equivalent of business class you do get a meal.

I would eat at Schiphol, and just accept the drinks offered on the flight.

julieah Mar 18th, 2014 05:04 AM

I just returned from taking the following flights.
Paris to Naples- 2hours- Air France. Cookies or crackers and a beverage.
Milan to AMS- about 2 1/2 hours- KLM. Cookies or crackers and a beverage.

kybourbon Mar 18th, 2014 06:00 AM

Depends on length of flight what you get. From KLM:

***Economy Class Europe

As always, we offer a broad selection of hot and cold drinks, including fruit juice, soft drinks, wine, beer, coffee and tea on our flights.

Depending on the length of the flight and departure time, we serve either a snack or a fresh Delicious sandwich.

On flights of up to 120 minutes departing before 9 am, we serve a set of tasty sandwiches with different fillings. On flights departing after 9 am, you can choose between a sweet and a savoury snack.
On flights between 120 and 170 minutes we serve a set of sandwiches.
On flights lasting longer than 170 minutes we offer a hot snack and sweet pastry.

We vary our snack and sandwich selection on a regular basis.***

MarthaT Mar 18th, 2014 06:45 AM

Going from Berlin to Frankfurt last year at around 12 pm I was served a drink and sandwich and chips and cookies. All on a 40 minute flight!!

Sojourntraveller Mar 18th, 2014 06:49 AM

The last time I ate anything served by an airline was probably at least 30 years ago. When I watch people accepting and eating what is served, I wonder at their lack of taste. If someone served you dog food at home, would you smile and say 'thanks'?

OK, the food isn't quite dog food but if they served it to you even in a 1 star restaurant I think most people would refuse to eat it.

hetismij2 Mar 18th, 2014 06:51 AM

Having sampled both their snack and their sandwiches I still say eat at Schiphol and enjoy a drink onboard.

suec1 Mar 18th, 2014 07:17 AM

Well funny you say that Sojourn - I have actually never eaten in a Michellian starred restaurant and don't have any desire to do so at this point in my life. A few years ago we were in Nice on my adult daughters birthday and we were considering going to a restaurant there that had a star. We went by in the early morning to try to see the menu and peered in the window - what did we see? a small dog up on top of the white-clothed tables snouting around for crumbs.

But I do think we will eat in Shciphol, altho it will be mid-night body time and then arrive hungry to Istanbul where I'm sure great eating awaits us!

nytraveler Mar 18th, 2014 11:36 AM

Unless you are flying long-distance flights in first class there will not be anything resembling a meal (and IMHO even then not much like one).

Generally you will get free water, soda, canned juice or coffee/tea. Sometimes you will get a "snack" - tiny bag of chips or cookies. At best a dead, soggy mini-sandwich.

IMHO either eat in the airport or buy a reasonable sandwich and bring it on with you.

Cowboy1968 Mar 18th, 2014 12:15 PM

Your flight from AMS to IST will take a bit more than 3 hours so you will get a hot snack and a pastry.
Plus beverages hot and cold.
THe sandwiches you get on shorter flights are the same kind you find in zillions of grocery stores or snack bars. Most people survive eating them.
Schipol has many dining options, though, if you want to eat before you get on your flight.

greg Mar 18th, 2014 12:38 PM

Yeah, it was something you might find at a grab and go type of place.
I have layovers like that at Schiphol. I usually head to the seafood bar at the fork of gate B/C and get a small tray of raw herring with onions.