Etretat in Normandy

Old Dec 12th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Etretat in Normandy

I know that most of you want to go to Caen, Bayeux and the D-Day beaches when you go to Normandy, but there are really a number of other things to see. Of course, I just did a Le Havre thread of questionable interest since the city was destroyed in WW2, but perhaps I can interest you in Etretat? It's a natural site with impressive chalk cliffs, and the little town itself is quite charming.

Here is a look at it: http://tinyurl.com/ya2j9z7
Old Dec 12th, 2009, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kerouac
Thank you for another wonderful photo essay. Etretat is a favorite place for us and you seemed to capture (almost) all of it. It is, indeed, a delightful place to spend several days.CJ
Old Dec 12th, 2009, 12:00 PM

Beautiful, Kerouac! What a wonderful day. I was at Etretat a few years ago while visiting Normandy. I didn't do the cliff walk (was afraid my age precluded that) but wish I had anyway. Thanks so much for this.
Old Dec 12th, 2009, 12:22 PM

Lots of my own memories of Etretat in these pictures. And thanks for noting the unique sound of waves departing from pebble beaches - I did not notice it in Etretat, but it is my most enduring memory of Nice.
Old Dec 12th, 2009, 12:51 PM

Lovely. thanks. Etretat figures prominently in the introductory scenes of the 180 degree theatre movie about France in the France section of the World Showcase at Disney World. it's a fantastic movie (really!!) and includes a second scene of Etretat with an old couple and their dog walking near the chapel above the cliffs.

We discovered it on an early visit to Normandy and still love to go again and again.
Old Dec 12th, 2009, 04:07 PM

I love Etretat! I told my husband next time I want to bring a picnic basket, the view is incredible! The hike is fairly easy.