Etretat and Abbaye de Jumieges?

Sep 11th, 2019, 07:31 PM
Original Poster

Etretat and Abbaye de Jumieges?

We’re leaving Arras and heading to Honfleur for one night on the way to Bayeux.

We’d like to see both Etretat and Abbaye de Jumieges on the way to Honfleur. There’s a ferry at Jumieges across the Seine and we can follow it along the west side to Honfleur.

If we get away by 8 - 8:30, is this a doable day, allowing an hour or so for each. According to google maps it is, but what’s the reality? It’s a Wednesday.

If it’s too much, which would be your choice to see.
Sep 11th, 2019, 09:17 PM
kja

I didn't make it to Etretat, but would suggest that an hour is generous for the Abbaye de Jumieges. I'd describe my 40-minute visit as leisurely.
Sep 12th, 2019, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

kja, worth a detour to see it, do you think?
Sep 12th, 2019, 08:04 AM

I thought the Abbaye very much worth the visit, but I love wandering in and photographing ruined gothic architecture. It's very evocative and I would agree that 40 minutes to an hour would about cover it.
Sep 12th, 2019, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

I love ruins, so we’ll go. It will be a very long travelling day, but if it’s worth it, it’s worth it!
Sep 12th, 2019, 05:13 PM
kja

Originally Posted by sugarmaple View Post
kja, worth a detour to see it, do you think?
Hard to say! I enjoyed it, and I'm glad for the time I spent there, but whether it's worth a detour would, I think, depend on what you would be giving up to make the time for the detour. Sorry I can't be more help than that!
Sep 12th, 2019, 09:18 PM

I can't really "recommend" it, but it fascinated me for 1+ hours, but I'm a total sucker for ruins and ancient European history.
Sep 12th, 2019, 11:42 PM
Original Poster

Ruins do it for me, every, single time! Maybe because we don't have any

What about Etretat? We'll be spending a few days on the Emerald Coast and on the Pink Granite Coast. Well, not exactly on the coast, but in the areas, with the idea being to take day trips to and along the coast.

Is Etretat worth a drive to on an already long day, assuming we're going to Jumieges and back then to Honfleur?

Which one would you give a miss to, if you had to?
Sep 12th, 2019, 11:56 PM
kja

You're traveling from Arras to Honfleur, by way of Jumiege and/or Etretat? My read of google maps is that it would add an hour to your drive time to visit Jumiege, then (say) another hour for the abbey. Or you could add about an hour to your drive time to visit Etretat, with whatever time it requries. Or you could do both, and if so, it looks to me like it would be best to visit Jumiege first. (Sorry, I'm not following your comment about the ferry, and I'm just doing the scantiest of checks on google maps.) Do you need to decide now? How do lunch and/or sunset figure into your plans? Do you have to be in Honfleur at a specific time, and are you leaving time to visit that stunning little place?

(I did give Etretat a miss, which means I have no idea whether that was a good decision or not. I can say that I had other priorities in the area and was following a different route.)
Sep 13th, 2019, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

We”d be going to Etretat first and then on the Jumieges. There is a ferry at Jumieges across the Seine.

We don’t have to decide now, not at all, just trying to get an idea of the viability of stopping at both.

We’re just in Honfleur for the night and plan to spend the morning there, leaving after lunch to get to Bayeux.
Sep 13th, 2019, 09:04 AM

Can't really say, as I've given Etretat a miss on every trip to Europe I've made. Never called out to me. Not sure why, but it doesn't seem like a big miss in my European travels.
Sep 13th, 2019, 07:05 PM
kja

Just curious: Why are you working your schedule around that ferry? It would seem to complicate your day.
Sep 14th, 2019, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Because of a fear of the Pont de Normandie.

We’re not working the schedule around that ferry, there are other ferries across we could book if we opt not to go on to Jumieges, there just happens to be one at Jumieges.
Sep 14th, 2019, 11:29 AM

The ferries run continuously back and forth during the day.

We arrived at Jumieges when it was closed for lunch, but since we'd seen an active abbey we weren't too bothered to miss it. I think we took the ferry both ways at that point. Going toward the abbey you get a view of the ruins; going the other way you see white cliffs.
Sep 14th, 2019, 12:16 PM
kja

Originally Posted by sugarmaple View Post
Because of a fear of the Pont de Normandie.

We’re not working the schedule around that ferry, there are other ferries across we could book if we opt not to go on to Jumieges, there just happens to be one at Jumieges.
Aah, now I understand why you would back track!
In that case, just make sure you take opening hours into consideration. The abbey at Jumiege will be closed at certain times of day; I'm guessing you wouldn't have to worry about that at Etretat.
Sep 14th, 2019, 01:26 PM

Both are great to visit, the ruins are very impressive. I would not miss them. At Etretat, figure out when high tide is. That way you can time your walk along the coast/cliffs. When the tide come in, parts becomes impassable. Or worse, you could get stuck trying to comes back once the tide comes in.
Sep 15th, 2019, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

schelemm, thanks for that advice.
Sep 16th, 2019, 03:55 AM

From the village of Etretat, you can walk southwest or northeast to the cliffs. Also you have the choice to walk on the cliff or below the cliff. If you have enough time, you can do everything. But if you don't have a lot of time, I suggest walking below the cliffs to the south. The path leads you through the rockface and up and down ladders. So it is very exciting and beautiful. It is not essential to have any kind of special footwear (like hiking boots), but there is the potential for getting dirty. Most folks probably walk this in sneakers. Though since I had hiking boots with me, I remember strapping them on just in case.
Sep 16th, 2019, 06:18 AM

I have not been to the Abbaye de Jumieges but I have been to Etretat twice. If you climb the cliffs on a brilliantly sunny day the views are spectacular. IMO it would be a completely different story if the weather was not good. I'm not sure if you have enough time to make it worthwhile but for others reading this thread, climbing the cliffs and walking on the rocky beach on a nice day is a very enjoyable way to spend a few hours.

I hope the link below works to see a few pictures we took in 2011. We climbed the cliff with the chapel on one day and the other cliff the next day. The first day was later in the day and it was windy but sunny. The second day was in the morning and it was perfect.

https://link.shutterfly.com/YFSw3dFJXZ
Sep 16th, 2019, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

shelemm and john, thanks for the advice and the photos. It looks beautiful.

We’ll get there around noon while the tide is heading out. High at 9:04, low at 3:24.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO