ETAP HOTELS: For Those on a Budget

Aug 9th, 2006, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

ETAP HOTELS: For Those on a Budget

I'm a real budget traveler - through necessity and through attitude so i look for the best inexpensive accommodations i can find. I often stay in B&Bs but don't always like the way some of them limit your privacy - unlike a hotel where you come and go unnoticed.
And for the past few years i've turned to ETAP Hotels to save money - i care little about the hotel itself as i'm the type who is rarely in the room, but i want something modern, clean, with good plumbing and of course private WC and shower in the room, and, most importantly of all, cable TV so i can watch CNN and BBC news!
ETAP hotels are part of the Accor Hotel Group, a French company that's one of the largest hotel operators in the world - they also run the more upscale IBIS, Novotel, Sofitel and Dorint hotels as well as the bargain basement Formule I hotels, which i've also stayed in, but these are often in remote locations (Amsterdam in the country next to the Crematorium!) and don't have showers in the room. In the US Accor operated Red Roof Inns and Motel 6.
www.accorhotels.com
TBC - I'll list some of the ETAP hotels i've used and other ones i haven't.
I'm always trying to gather info on similarly priced modern hotels - we're speaking often 25-35 euros for a room with up to three folks in it. Breakfast not included but available for a few euros.
I travel by train so i've pinpointed
ETAPs that are within a short walk of train stations.
TBC
Aug 9th, 2006, 08:35 AM

PalIQ - please don't take this as a jibe, as I appreciate how difficult it can be to find habitable budget accommodations, but I am ROFLMAO at hearing Ibis described as upscale!
Aug 9th, 2006, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Seamus- no i wouldn't call IBIS upscale but i said more upscale than the ETAP - ETAPs are often next to IBISs and i was only making a relative comparison that IBIS and other brands were more upscale not that IBIS is upscale in its own right. Sorry about confusion - i agree with you.
Aug 12th, 2006, 01:18 PM

Probably a really stupid question, but here it goes anyway....

How long in advance can I reserve at an Accor hotel? On their website there seems to be around a 3 or 4 months in advance window. Is this correct? I can't reserve for next February let alone June (when I really want to go!) Am I missing something?
Aug 14th, 2006, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

I don't know but you can call Accor's toll free number in the US and ask: 800-221-4252.
Usually you can cancel an Accor reservation up until 7pm the day of the booking without obligation i believe.
Aug 14th, 2006, 07:04 AM

Hi Pal
"Attention, vous ne pouvez pas réserver en ligne pour un séjour prévu dans plus de 100 jours." as they say you can't book "on line" before 10 days maybe it means you can do it over the phone...
I used them in Paris, London and Nancy, they all look the same so no surprise. Very handy for about 40€
Aug 14th, 2006, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

to be clear my ami Coco meant to say 100 days in English that you can book ETAP hotels - like she did in her French version.
I've started using ETAP hotels also for the price and they fill all the needs of my comfort level, especially since i'm rarely in the room. And i don't mind at all being in real neighborhoods outside the tourist areas as that's the Europe i love the most.
Like the Berlin one was in East Berlin right by some tower block housing left over from the DDR - no tourists there except hotel guests, many who drove in and drove out without seeing the fascinating, to me at least, tower block neighborhood.
Tu a passes une bonne vacanelles!
Aug 14th, 2006, 07:19 AM

PalQ, they might say the room holds 3, but if it's like the Ibis I stayed at in Gothenburg, you get a smallish double bed (comfortable for two 8-year-olds, perhaps), and a wallbed that juts out directly overhead, which does comfortably if narrowly hold one adult. The room was perhaps 9 x 9. My room appears to match pretty closely to what you see on the Etap site here (even though it was at an Ibis):
http://www.etaphotel.com/etaphotel/index.html

What are the dimensions and bedding for the Etap hotels you've stayed at? Of course with how cheap these rooms are, a family could get two or three rooms for a much smaller price than you can often get one.
Aug 14th, 2006, 07:32 AM

Thanks for correcting my 10 days instead of 100 Pal I typed too fast. oui j'ai passé un bon week end, merci.
The beds are standard size for France i.e 140x190cm and there is a bulk bed(?)(lit superpos&eacute on the top of it. Most of them sleep 3.
In Nancy there was another single bed and we could sleep with our 2 kids. What a bargain!
Aug 14th, 2006, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

WillTravel - i believe all ETAP hotels are exactly the same - at least everyone i've been in is exactly as you describe - i'm a single traveler so it's fine for me.
Aug 14th, 2006, 07:48 AM

Actually, not every Etap has the bunk bed. Here is a link to a picture on realhotelphotos.com:

http://tinyurl.com/e8q8b

I kind of like Ibises, for my taste worth the extra money for that "upscale-from-Etap" accomodation, so I am surprised that anyone would get an Etap like room in an Ibis. But perhaps Accor is playing games with the brand names - I reserved a Mercure just off the Champs Elysees and when I arrived found out that it was actually a Libertel that was in the process of being "upgraded" to Mercure. As far as I could tell, the process consisted solely of changing the name on the building....
Aug 14th, 2006, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

....and the price!
Aug 14th, 2006, 07:54 AM

Mercure hotels can be very different according to the town, they can be 3 or 4 star hotels, some of them are in quite new buildings, some others in very old so check the pictures!
Aug 14th, 2006, 08:03 AM

You're always at home in a hotel ibis!
Aug 14th, 2006, 08:28 AM

I've just recently booked two rooms at the Chartres ETAP. It took me a while to decide on this because I wasn't sure they had parking. Sometime later when I looked at their directions section closely, I noticed the small parking gratuite icon at the bottom of the location map and booked immediately. Two rooms for 90E. The only thing I found discomfiting is that the entrance to the hotel is through a Total gas-station. I wonder if I will find that repugnant.
Aug 14th, 2006, 09:39 AM

One difference between ETAP and Ibis is that Ibis has 24-hour reception, whereas ETAP is unattended for much of the time. You can access your room via a credit card, I believe.
Aug 14th, 2006, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Some ETAPS like at Amsterdam Schiphol Airport are attended 24 hours it seems - least someone was there whenever i came back or left. But yet like the Berlin one had limited hours and the credit card you booked your room with will let you in and give you a code to the code-key in to your room.
But yes many have limited check-in hours if not reserved in advance.
Aug 14th, 2006, 10:01 AM

PalQ, there are other chains that have the cheap accomodation.
Check out www.envergure.fr for Bleu Marine and Première Classe. They're about the same price than Etap.