Reload this Page >

Estimate of driving time and evaluation of best roads between Pisa and Nice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2000, 05:46 AM
Anthony

We are travelling by car from Pisa to Nice. Would appreciate time it takes on the most direct path, on AutoStrade, hotels/places to stop between Pisa and Nice. We plan to travel in September. Any information will be appreciated. Thanks!

Old Feb 11th, 2000, 06:22 AM
Rex

From www.iti.fr - - anybody else had much success with www.euroshell.com since its re-launch ("new and improved" - translation: doesn't work!) on February 3? <BR> <BR>Anyhow, the route is listed as 219 miles or 3 hrs, 35 minutes. While you can stop in the Cinque Terre (I will leave this for others who know this part of Italy better), the distance is plenty short enough to do in a single stretch. Be aware that there are about 150 tunnels on this stretch of autostrada. <BR> <BR>If you have an Italian car that you want to return (to avoid the drop charge), San Remo should be your destination. Avis, Hertz and Budget all there, perhaps others - - and the train ride to Nice is just about 45 minutes, as I recall (brief change in Ventimiglia). <BR> <BR>If you want to spend the night in San Remo, the Nyala Suite Hotel is pleasant enough. Restaurant in the hotel is certainly satisfactory, and a nice pool at the hotel. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex

Old Feb 11th, 2000, 08:34 AM
Anthony

Rex, <BR> <BR>Thanks--150 tunnels? I thought we would be driving along the sunny Med not in the Swiss Alps! <BR> <BR>If I can be of help, on France in particular, please call on me.

Old Feb 11th, 2000, 01:41 PM
Rex

154, to be exact. I counted them the last time I drove this route, because I just couldn't help wondering if my imagination had gotten the better of me. <BR> <BR>The topography of this part of the Italian coast is not Alpine, but it IS very rugged. I think that the five "lands" of the Cinque Terre developed as coastal communities that intereacted with each other solely by sea. <BR> <BR>It will be obvious to you when you drive this route, that it required modern technology to put a high speed highway through this country. It is literally as if they took a laser and drilled through one mountainside after another - - and yes, there are probably 150 bridges to connect all the tunnels (I didn't count those). <BR> <BR>Anybody who tells you there is terrific Mediterranean coastal scenery along the way is talking about small snippets between all the tunnels. It IS kinda interesting around Genoa - - especially the barbor, port and one big mother bridge you cross there. Otherwise, this drive is more a chore than a treat.

Old Feb 19th, 2000, 06:43 AM
tim

For directions and times go to www.cwlease.com