Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Essesntial paces to see and things to do for 1st time Europe trip

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 12:58 PM
Phil

Hi all, you've been so helpful so far. I am taking my 1st trip to Europe, leaving this Friday, I arrive in London Saturday morning, plan on hitting
Amsterdam, Paris, Munich, Florence, Rome, Barcelona.
I have 20 days. Any suggestions as to other places to see, things to do, or things that I should know for my first trip.

Thank you all for your time and experiences!
Phil

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 01:14 PM
Sarah

I think about 1-3 small towns in Italy would be important. I love Siena, Assisi (sp). You will also be close to the Ciqua Tera when in Rome.

You want to remember that the culture of any nation is better preserved in a small town. Think about it? ... go to NYC or go to some little town with a fire house oyster fry and a championship little league team, which one is going to give you a sense of America? Well both are but I think the main street parade and community carnivals are what many are looking for with American Culture.

I just felt like the small Italian towns put you in an old Chef Boyardy Spaghetti commercial. A stereotype? Of course but so are those darn main street parades, kind of nice when you find them though. Take the side trips when you hear about them enroute.

SICK WITH ENVY!!! ENJOY!!!

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 01:20 PM
Tony

The isle of Capri is fabulous. Many beautiful women adorn this tiny paradise.

Have fun!

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 01:28 PM
rhea

Depending on how long you'll be around Munich, I would recommend taking the 2 hr train ride to Fussen to see Castle Neuschwanstein located about 80mi south of Munich. (This would be a daytime trip). Located in the Mountains, these castles will absolutely amaze you...there's also some hiking paths that allow you to explore Germany's natural beauty. For more info, check out http://www.allgaeu-schwaben.com/cneuschwanstein.html and http://www.germanworld.com/neu.htm (it really does look like the picture, even on a cloudy day).

Old Sep 16th, 2002, 02:56 PM
Greg

Small towns, local pubs and small restaurants. The local flavor is what you are looking for.