Eating at the Paradors in Spain

Old Jan 17th, 2013, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eating at the Paradors in Spain

We traveled to Spain years ago, stayed in the Paradors and ate there most of the time.
What are your experiences lately of eating in the Paradors, any exceptionally good ones,
or ones that should clearly be avoided. We are fairly sophicated diners and don't want to waste our time with bad dining experiences.
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 11:02 AM

Where in Spain are you headed?

Based on my experiences (I've probably been in a dozen or so paradors over the years) is that the food is always good, rarely exceptional. There are often very good values offered. Despite that, I usually prefer to dine in the nearby town but for breakfast, and for convenience, the paradors are a good fall back.
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 11:11 AM

Our friends in Madrid take us to Paradors for our big Sunday Meal mid day when we visit - we will drive up to an 1.5 hours for one. It was always amazing and a decent value.
WE have been to many but I do not know the names of them.

I will have to find the name of one we did go because the waiter acted soooooo put out that we asked for a coffee, he huffed and puffed and clanked things around. We all laughed so hard in the car later as it was most humerous. But it the most beautiful view and gorgeous food..... hang tight will try to find.
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 11:29 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
On a recent trip to Spain, I felt the quality of the parador restaurants had gone down a bit from our earlier trip there. I would have breakfasts there and dine in town, unless it's at a distance. The only poor dining experience we had was in the Parador in Santillana del Mar. The room was subpar as well., Needed a paint job and new durniture. Ironically, it was more pricey than the others we had enjoyed on the trip..Leon, Santiago de C, Baiona. We enjoyed all of other parador experiences, just thought the dining rooms had slipped.
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 12:14 PM

Many of the paradors and pousadas are suffering from the rerrible economy. Everything seems to have gone down or at least last Oct/Nov..Santiago was still good but Avila was somewhat poorly as was Salamanca and Cardona. In fact Cardona was a huge disappointment all around. Queluz (PT.) was suffering as was Obidos. But they are still lovely, off times a great bargin and usually well worth while. I love 'em!!!
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 12:57 PM

I thought many of our rooms were problematic, but the food was never less than good to excellent, though I frankly got tired of jamon iberico. Like country ham in the American South, it is an acquired taste, too salty for my palate.
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 02:38 PM

If you are out in the countryside with no place else to go, why not? But if you are in town, especially in summer, to miss joining in the fun of tapas in the evening seems to me a real pity. That is the great contribution of Spain to food culture, and so much more fun than sitting in a restaurant after 9pm eating a whole dinner.

I also would be interested in where in Spain you are headed. There are some food destinations in Spain where the restaurants and bars are so outstanding, I can't believe anybody eats in the paradors unless they don't realize where they are.

The parador at the Alhambra is so beautifully situated, overlooking the grounds, that it is tempting to have lunch there even if you are not staying at the parador. There are possibly other beautiful parador restaurants that are also great for lunch. But however lovely to sleep in -- and I still enjoy staying in them, even when they are showing wear and tear -- I had out for tapas.
Old Jan 17th, 2013, 07:48 PM

I won't risk a meal at a parador anymore (unless there is absolutely no other option.) I used to get decent meals at them - the past two years, the food has ranged from substandard to inedible. Stay at the parador - but go somewhere else to eat.
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 12:23 AM

In the recent threat to close several Paradors there was a rethink. Now quite a number of restaurants attached to a Parador are now going to be closing their doors, thus "saving" the hotel side of the business.
In response to a comment above about salty food. That is all over Spain, not just in Paradores . After living here many years I still cannot get used to it.
You can read more reviews on any particular Parador on Booking.com
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 08:29 AM

The only time I eat at the paradores is when breakfast is included-quite a spread!
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 09:30 AM

As ekscrunchy remarked, all of the Paradors we've been to, and that is a lot over the years, offer decent local or regional cuisine, some of the dishes have been excellent, some only so-so.

Paradors in places like Lerma, Alcalá de Henares, Cáceres and Toledo have a hard time competing with nearby restaurants. while others, Merida, Áliva, Gredos, Cazorla have little competition and are very popular with the locals. Some, like Sigüenza, Oropesa, Sos Del Rey Católicos, La Granja and Soria are weekend destinations, well known for their excellent regional cuisine. And then there is Hondarribia, with so many outstanding restaurants within 20 minutes drive, or a quick 10-minute walk, has no restaurant.

One thing to remember is that Parador restaurants are always open on Sunday and Monday when many restaurants are closed.
Old Jan 18th, 2013, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

We are going to Zamora, Santiago de Compostella, Leon,
Santillana Gil Blas, Hondarribia, & Santo Domingo Cazada.
I am already trying to get a reservation at Arzak in San Sebastian for when we are in Hondarribia.
We love tapas, so I think this is good advice.
Old Jan 19th, 2013, 12:58 AM

I think Robert can point you in the right direction for Santiago de Compostela. I think I recall him saying that the Parador is not the best hotel there.
Robert am I correct?

I live too near to have a need to stay in any hotel in that city.