Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Error Message (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/error-message-117074/)

Alec Apr 6th, 2001 03:37 AM

Error Message

What's going on? I keep getting the following error message about 75% of the time I try to log on this forum - is there a problem at the Fodors server? Please mend!!!<BR><BR>"Error Occurred While Processing Request<BR>Error Diagnostic Information<BR>An error occurred while attempting to establish a connection to the server.<BR><BR>The most likely cause of this problem is that the server is not currently running. Verify that the server is running and restart it if necessary. <BR><BR>Unix error number 146 occurred: Connection refused"

Rex Apr 6th, 2001 04:38 AM

You're one of the lucky few to get through at all, even to be able to post this message.<BR><BR>Yelling won't help (a good mantra to remember at airports).<BR><BR>I've had some experience in running electronic information projects. It seems safe to say that they don't want any more down time than they can help.<BR><BR>I'm sympathetic and empathetic to the the pressure they must feel to have this site working perfectly and answer every complaint.<BR><BR>There was a message posted from Danny Mangin last night saying that a server problem was identified and that they were working hard to solve it. This is a change in communication from www.fodors.com that is most welcome. Private e-mail communication from their staff to me has tended towards denying the existence of problems in the past few days, but I'm sure they're trying hard to do the right things.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

X Apr 6th, 2001 05:13 AM

Me, too.

Bob Brown Apr 6th, 2001 05:21 AM

I received the same message just now, 9:17 EDT April 6. I have also gotten Oracle lock out alerts, that the database was locked. I tend to beleive that Fodors not only came up with a new <BR>look to the Forum, but that it has a new database engine as well. <BR>Oracle is a resource hog and could be sapping up so many machine cycles that there is no way the software can process all of the disc access requests. <BR>I have no way of knowing what I describe is the case, but the symptoms I see are consistent with that explanation.<BR>I know my department never installed Oracle because the budget did not allow the acquisition of the larger computer we would need to install it and run it. <BR>(It would also require a full time person to manage the system, too.)

Kavey Apr 6th, 2001 08:32 AM

I also experienced this about 20 mins ago but left it 10 mins and tried again and was able to get into the site.<BR><BR>I am sure they are working very hard to resolve it.<BR><BR>Kavey

Mariarosa Apr 6th, 2001 10:50 AM

I have also been getting that error message quite frequently. The forum has also been freezing on me quite often (I have a cable connection, so it's quite unusual for sites to freeze on me). It's a server problem and I am sure that they are working to fix it.

pam Apr 6th, 2001 10:53 AM

I've been getting it, too, plus sometimes a Cold Fusion error message. Cold Fusion is an Allaire product...boo hiss.

m Apr 6th, 2001 11:03 AM

i've been getting it all day. what a pain!!!!