Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Enough time to make connection in Madrid? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/enough-time-to-make-connection-in-madrid-792050/)

katarina823 Jun 24th, 2009 09:55 PM

Enough time to make connection in Madrid?

We are scheduled to arrive in Terminal 4 of Madrid Airport (Iberia flight from Bilbao) at 4:40pm and our connecting international flight is scheduled to depart from Terminal 1 at 7:10pm. I booked these flights before I read about the difficulties of making transfers between the terminals and now wondering if I should book an earlier flight from Bilbao despite the fees. Do you think 2.5 hours is enough? Thanks in advance for your responses!

Robert2533 Jun 24th, 2009 10:02 PM

You shouldn't have any problems, assuming you have your boarding passes. 2-1/2 hours is more than enough time, even with checked luggage. All you have to do, once you clear customs and passport control, is to hop on the shuttle and head to T-1, it's the first stop. Your checked luggage will be forwarded.

If you don't have your boarding passes, then you will have to go the T-1, check in at the ticket counter, get your boarding pass, clear security and head to the gate. Depending on the day, date and time, you may need an extra hour or two.

katarina823 Jun 24th, 2009 10:07 PM

Thanks! I'd like to add that we're flying out at 7:10pm on a Friday evening.

alanRow Jun 24th, 2009 10:31 PM

<<< All you have to do, once you clear customs and passport control, >>>

Not from Bilbao

lincasanova Jun 24th, 2009 11:36 PM

Assuming your flight is ON TIME and no fog..( when is this?) you should be OK but I imagine you will be a bit anxious..

The important info here is if this is on two tickets.If so..I could never do this. I am too pessimistic a traveler.

Your luggage will NOT be forwarded if you are on two separate tickets. I waited (but it was last year mind you) almost 30 minutes for my bags after a 40 minute flight.

However, if you are on ONE ticket (bilbao.. then madrid-XXX) I would not worry about it AT ALL since the airline is liable for re-arranging any missed flights due to delay, and this is definitely legal changing time.

cruiseluv Jun 25th, 2009 03:44 AM

I just want to echo Lin's comments. The important issue here is: are these two separate tickets?

katarina823 Jun 25th, 2009 06:51 PM

yes, they are two separate tickets. It does not sound too promising...

danon Jun 25th, 2009 08:45 PM

If you have to pick up your luggage, get on the bus ( it seemed to me 10-15 minutes ride), then check in again for an international flight - it might be too short.
We flew from Madrid to Santander and Santander to Barcelona ( Iberia operated flights),neither one departed on time.

danon Jun 25th, 2009 08:53 PM

sorry, did not mean to cause more anxiety...
it does not mean it cannot be done ...
As often, the luggage is a problem....(.how long you have to wait for it)

cruiseluv Jun 26th, 2009 06:15 AM

If it was viceversa (you were coming from the US , connecting to an internal Spain flight) I wouldn't worry too much since the flight you would miss is a lower priced ticekt. But if you lose your intl connection they will possibly make you buy a new ticket at whatever the prevailing fare is.

Are you flying back to the states or closer?