Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Enough time to catch a flight? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/enough-time-to-catch-a-flight-541992/)

blue67 Jul 6th, 2005 06:36 AM

Enough time to catch a flight?

I'll looking to catch a Ryan Air flight from London Gatwick to Dublin on July 25 but I'm not sure I'll have enough time. I'll be arriving in London Gatwick at 8:15 am and the Ryan Air flight departs at 10 am. Would this be enough time to clear customs, pick up my luggage and check in? The next flight isn't until 1:30 pm!

gertie3751 Jul 6th, 2005 06:41 AM

Don't even think about it. Your incoming flight might be late. You might have to change terminals. Immigration might have long lines, likewise the check-in queue for RyanAir. Assume all this, have a leisurely breakfast in LGW and hang around the bookshops for a while.

rex Jul 6th, 2005 06:44 AM

Although I have never dealt with Ryanair at Gatwick, it sounds pretty close to me. Personally, I think I would cross my fingers and believe that everything will go alright. I get the sense that you would very much prefer not to have to wait until 1:30, even if it meant that you faced a "nail-biter" - - I would feel the same way.

If you can't stand the thought of having to buy a whole new ticket - - if you miss the flight (and you WOULD have to do that; Ryanair does not allow free "take-the-next-flight" under any circumstances) - - then I wonder if it is affordable to simply buy a ticket now (if you're getting a sharply discounted fare now) on both.

Best wishes,

Rex

bob_brown Jul 6th, 2005 06:47 AM

Is there a reason you cannot check your luggage through to Dublin?

Clearing immigration control at Gatwick was no problem for us the two times I have flown in there. The UK people are not paranoid and quavering in their boots like some nations I know! Customs is virtually nothing. I don't recall seeing a single official the last two times I went through.

If you have to switch from North Terminal to South Termainal, the rail system is very quick. The doors open in the side of a wall and the train cars are on the other side. Unusual set up.

If the 8:15 flight is on time, one hour and 45 minutes should be ample time.

I might add that security just two days just yesterday for me at Gatwick was a breeze. I have a metal hip and it always rings the bell. The US forces go into a spasm when I come through and ring the bell; the UK officer seemed to know where my hip was, waved his detector wand over it it, felt of the area with his fingers, and sent me on my way. None of this half undressing stuff and standing with arms out and feet apart. The UK man was quick, very thorough, simple, sure, and efficient.

rex Jul 6th, 2005 06:50 AM

<<Is there a reason you cannot check your luggage through to Dublin?>>

I would not presume that the trans-atlantic carrier that blue67 is using will have an "in-line baggage agreement" with Ryanair (I'm not sure they have them with ANY airline) - - but then again, I should not assume that they don't, either.

bob_brown Jul 6th, 2005 06:51 AM

Let me rephrase that: Just yesterday when I went through security at Gatwick, security was a breeze even though I have a metal hip and have to be hand checked.

I don't know if you will have to be rechecked, but intra European flights are not as carefully screened as international ones.

As I said, passport control was no real barrier. I really don't understand why people are saying that 1 hour and 45 minutes is cutting it too close.

Were it CDG, I would agree. But being as how this is Gatwick, the only problem I see is that your 8:15 arrival will be late.

Intrepid1 Jul 6th, 2005 06:55 AM

I agree with Rex in doubting that RyanAir has any sort of luggage agreement with any other airline and unless they have one with Blue67's arriving carrier the luggage will have to be retrieved and re-checked.

gertie3751 Jul 6th, 2005 07:04 AM

RyanAir is a "no frills airline".
Frills include baggage transfer agreements with other airlines, lots of counter staff to check passengers in, and generous baggage allowance. If your baggage is over 15kg (yes!) you will have to pay extra per kg (can't recall how much).
If you still want to fly with them, Rex's suggestion of booking twice is good...but be careful to check how much the ticket actually comes to when you have included tax etc.
Good luck!

flanneruk Jul 6th, 2005 08:11 AM

For a 1000 Ryanair departure you have to have checked in by 0920. One second later and you've lost your money. And you'll then have to buy a ticket on the 1330 at the price they're selling for on July 25 - almost certainly roughly the same as the full scheduled fare on a conventiomnal airline

Only you know whether you have to change terminals. But you certainly have to get through passport control, collect your bags and pass Customs, and at the very least walk them to the landside Ryanair checkin desk. (Ryanair doesn't do baggage transfers. Not even with itself. Ever)

However cheap the tickets are at present, you're about 75% sure to miss the 1000. I'd suggest you plan now to put your bags into left luggage, get the train to London or Brighton, spend the morning somewhere interesting and get back to the airport for about 1230 to catch the 1330 flight you book today.

gertie3751 Jul 6th, 2005 12:41 PM

Oh why didn't I think of that. Breakfast in Brighton is infinitely preferable to breakfast in LGW. Not to mention the bookshops.

janis Jul 6th, 2005 01:50 PM

Am I the only one getting tired of folks who may have their hearts in the right place but insist on posting advice about things of which they have no knowledge? (Ooh - I'll get flamed for that)

>> Is there a reason you cannot check your luggage through to Dublin? <<

YES - The OP is asking about Ryan Air.

>> If the 8:15 flight is on time, one hour and 45 minutes should be ample time. <<

Not true - Ryan Air does not let you check in even ONE MINUTE late.

>> But being as how this is Gatwick, the only problem I see is that your 8:15 arrival will be late. <<

This is an adequate connection time for a Ryan Air flight.

Everything bob_brown says might be valid if we were talking about many airlines -- but since this is Ryan Air, none of it applies. As everyone else says - book the later flight.

I might even consider taking an even later flight and make a day of it in Brighton or somewhere.

janis Jul 6th, 2005 01:53 PM

sheesh - all that moral indignation and I had a major typo.

Should say "This is an INadequate connection time for a Ryan Air flight."

prkrishnan Jul 6th, 2005 02:13 PM

i am going to be flying a lot of ryan air on my trip is august do they add luggage allowances for family members or do they only allow 15 kg per piece?

nibblette Jul 6th, 2005 02:15 PM

Get the later flight! You will NOT make the 10AM Ryan Air flight. You have about an hour to get to Ryan Air's check-in desk and this is only if your flight is not delayed. Then you have to hope there are no lines anywhere AND your luggage comes out quickly AND you don't have to change terminals.

Ryan Air is VERY strict about their check-in times and you will not be allowed on the flight if it is after the cut-off (no exceptions!). And the ticket is use it or lose it (no refunds, can't use funds for another ticket). A new ticket must be purchased - same day purchase can be very pricey.

As other posters have said, Ryan Air is a budget airline - no luggage transfers from ANYONE. You WILL have to retrieve your luggage and check it back in (and pay any fees, which are substantial, for anything over their checked 15kg limit).

rex Jul 6th, 2005 02:23 PM

<<i am going to be flying a lot of ryan air on my trip is august do they add luggage allowances for family members or do they only allow 15 kg per piece?>>

Unofficially, I would say "yes" - - and there has been a suggestion that the enforcement of rules is stricter at Stansted than at their "satellite" airport locations (which would include LGW).

See these two recent threads - - current "unsearchable" on various experiences with baggage on Ryanair.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34637422

and

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34639522

Best wishes,

Rex

suze Jul 6th, 2005 02:56 PM

Most of all I believe it depends if you first flight in fact arrives on time at 8:15 as scheduled. In your shoes I would book the 1:30 flight, and relax.

blue67 Jul 6th, 2005 10:10 PM

Thanks for your help. I think I will take the later flight to be on the safe side and look into visting Brighton.