Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Enoteca Pinchiorri - is it as great as they say?

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 04:55 PM
James

Has anyone been to Enoteca Pinchiorri in Florence and if so, is it really as great as the guide books say? Also, are the prices outrageous?
Thanks

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 05:49 PM
kam

In my humble opinion, no, it was not worth it. I found the food "tortured" and the dining experience less than charming. But, I'm sure there will be lots of folks who think that this is one of the best restaurants in Italy. If you enjoy Italian cooking and a nice Italian trattoria, Enotecca Pinchiori is not it. If you want the hype, then go for it. I wouldn't go back.

Old Aug 15th, 2001, 08:43 PM
Andy

James- We found Enotecca Pinchiorri to be FABULOUS- 5 courses with accompanying wines-we sat in the little stone room and had about 3 different waiters--it's the only Michelin rated restaurant in Italy--it's quite expensive but worth the experience---this is true dining--the trattorias are wonderful too, but if you are in Florence and can afford to do this restaurant,it's s great experience.

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 05:53 AM
erica

WHAT - andy has it all wrong and makes me wonder what kind of information people read. It is not the only Michelin rated restaurant in Italy. There are thousand of 'rated' restaurants and hundreds of starred (1 or 2) places. There are even a couple of 3 stars, but not Enoteca Pinchiorri.

That said, I've never been there, but would like to hear some well-informed opinions.

Old Aug 16th, 2001, 07:58 AM
JOdy

we were there several years ago, and while it is very very good, I, like Kam, found the food to be tortured or as I was going to call it "composed" , before I read Kam's wonderful description.
The ingredients are often not truly Italian ,a nd the cooking has more of a French accent IMO. Not where I would go to experience Classic Tuscan cuisine, which is what you might expect since it is in Florence!

whether it is worth it or not depends on you, I felt we received fair value for the money but I can get a wonderful French meal in Paris , when I'm in Italy I want something more regional. That may be part of the problem, there really is no Italian cuisine, It is all regional, Tuscan, Venetioan, Umbrian, Sicilian.
etc. . every regions has it's own produce, fish or meats , herbs, oils or butter, cheeses.