Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Enjoying Ireland -- Killarney, Dingle & Connemara with kids (photos)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2011, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our family of four (kids age 12 & 9) just returned from a week in west/southwest Ireland. We are American expats in the UK and are taking advantage of the opportunities presented. I'm not sure I would have chosen Ireland as a place to visit from the US (no Irish heritage) but it was an enjoyable trip and we were glad we could go.

The weather generally cooperated but we did have 2 really poor weather days. I guess that's the chance you have to take. Given the preponderance of outdoor activities and sights, too many more washouts would have really put a damper on things. I expected more mixed weather rather than all sun or all rain. Hard to tell what normal is though.

If there's interest I'll come back and post the "trip report" logistical information. For now, I'll leave you with a link to my travel blog. Skim through the first bit if you want to get to the pictures and descriptions.

http://ukfrey.blogspot.com/2011/08/ireland.html

I've got some business travel ahead so it might be a few days before I can check back in.
Old Aug 21st, 2011, 02:16 PM

thanks for sharing your adventures. I loved your play on words with dingleberries! Great pictures as well.
Old Aug 21st, 2011, 02:16 PM

thanks for sharing your adventures. I loved your play on words with dingleberries! Great pictures as well.
Old Aug 21st, 2011, 05:29 PM

Indy -Dad, Great family pics. The kids did love those dogs, eh? What a cute shot of those border collies. I enjoyed your album, haven't been back to the "Old Sod" for some time. Ah, memories...
Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 06:22 AM

indy-dad, Thanks so much for posting the pictures and commentary. We were at most of these sites this past October and it brought back great memories. I hope you get to return sometime and walk the paths at Connemara National Park, definitely worth the hike. We just fell in love with Ireland on our first trip in September 2009. My husband's grandmother was born and raised in Dunmanway,County Cork so he does have a connection. We would love to spend half a year there when retirement comes in 5-6 years, lets hope the economy helps us and Ireland both out with that dream.
Old Aug 22nd, 2011, 07:53 AM

Your blog was very helpful. 4 of us are traveling to Ireland on Sept. 7, the pics give us an idea of the terrain and things to see. Thanks!