"English Manner" Apartments

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2006, 05:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone rented a flat or apartment through "In the English Manner"? Several of their apartments look quite nice on the website. We would want something in a convenient neighborhood for short, FLAT walk to shops and bus or tube. Suggestions?
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 06:18 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I haven't used them but they seem to have a good reputation.

One comment though - London is pretty flat except for areas like Primrose Hill and Hampstead/Highgate. But you are more likely to book an apartment in the center, so not a problem. However - as "flat" as London is, tube stations are not. There are escalators and lifts, but most stations have some or a lot of stairs just to get to the station level.
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 06:18 AM

Some are indeed lovely. But I know of no one who has used them, and I thought they priced out frightfully expensive, regardless of how nice they are.

Here's another suggestion. Look at the flats on this site:
www.farnum-christ.com

If you like what you see, pick up the phone and call them. Ann and Lisa, who own this agency of privately owned flats in London are located in the US and they will chat for hours if you want on the phone about what would suit you and make a proposal. Their flats are not cheap, but seemingly a much better value that what I seem to see on English Manner.
By the way, when you see the "Floral Street" flat in Covent Garden -- it's the loft type flat we've rented about 10 times now -- probably not for you since it's stairs.
Some of their apartments near Sloane Square are particularly wonderful and provide that nice neighborhood with flat walk close to tube and bus you mention.
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the Farnum-Christ link. Some great-looking properties at a decent price. I particularly like the map links showing the exact location of each flat. It would be hard to choose! How do they handle the key and orientation (how to work appliances, etc.?) Is there a representative in London who meets you at the property?
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 04:39 PM

Barbara, they work several ways. As I recall someone met us at our flat the first time. They also will do a transfer from the airport with their own regular guy who then has the keys and shows you the flat (I believe). We always find our own way to the flat, but for a first time, their car and driver service would probably be a good idea. There is also a complete list of "how tos" for appliances and particulars within the apartment. Now they just send us the keys in advance and we mail them back to them after we leave (from and to a US address). At "our" flat, there is also a building "caretaker" who can handle any problems and we also are provided the phone number of the owner in case we need to talk with them about anything.
Unlike most agencies, they show and say very little on their website. They are much better at discussing things with you on the phone -- and I've found them not afraid to point out the "weaknesses" of any property either.