English crepe-paper Christmas hats?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When we spent Christmas in London and had festive meals we were given hats made of crepe paper to wear--not the ones that come in Christmas crackers but large ones, like pirate hats, crowns, and the like. I've had no luck finding a source for buying these; does anyone know where I might find them?
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 02:12 PM

The only time I've ever seen these was in a friend's house. And they'd been carefully preserved for 20 years or so, when their aged parents last spent an overpriced New Year's Eve at some ritzy thrash in London or New York.

The ones you see in the party area of dept stores these days are seriously naff and plastic: mostly aimed at the hen party market.

So think of this reply as a ttt for someone more resourceful to suggest. Maybe by finding a google strategy for companies supplying cruise liners with novelties? Or are cruise liners all as naff as I suspect they are?
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 02:44 AM

Where do you buy party hats? In a party hat shop (aka a fancy dress shop)! There are a fair few of these around, and the quality varies enormously. Some offer stuff which is intended only to last one night, others are much more upmarket.

There’s a good one just by West Kensington Tube.

If you want REALLY upmarket you could try Angel and Bermans in Camden – they’re a costumier, but they would be pretty pricey.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 04:03 AM
cmt

I might be easier to buy the materials and simply make them. But I really know nothinb about this.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Alas, I am in the U.S. and need to find the hats at an internet site. But thanks for the London information.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

The ones that we still have are a very classy pirate hat and one that looks like what a Pearly King would wear.