English breakfast near Tower of London

Old Jun 4th, 2024, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
English breakfast near Tower of London

Where would you recommend our family of four enjoy a classic English breakfast within easy (5 minutes) walking distance to the Tower of London? So far, my review of Google maps is coming up with Coppa Club and The Ivy Tower Bridge. There are other restaurants nearby, but they either open too late or are just quick takeaway places. Am I missing anything? Thanks.
Old Jun 4th, 2024, 10:11 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
If you mean within a 5 minute walk of the entrance kiosk where you buy tickets to the Tower -- there won't be much.

St Katharine's Marina has a few including at least one cafe that serves from about 7:30 AM, but from there to the Welcome Centre would be about a 10 minute Walk. Not sure why you mentioned the Ivy since it is definitely more than a 5 min walk - more like 12-15 mins since it is on the other side of the river.

Your best bet might be to eat at your hotel or nearby before heading to the Tower
Old Jun 4th, 2024, 10:31 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Looks like the Skillet Breakfast at the Coppa Club will do the trick.

Old Jun 4th, 2024, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Gardyloo

I agree but it seemed the OP had rejected it for some reason. Copa Club is right there - and the pods/igloos could be fun for a family if they can be pre-booked.
Old Jun 4th, 2024, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gardyloo
Indeed!
Old Jun 4th, 2024, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by janisj
I agree but it seemed the OP had rejected it for some reason. Copa Club is right there - and the pods/igloos could be fun for a family if they can be pre-booked.
No, what I meant was that those were the only two places I could see that were REALLY close to the Tower that offered English breakfast (and yes I see now that The Ivy is a bit further away than I realized). Coppa Club it is. Thanks.
Old Jun 4th, 2024, 01:02 PM

Definitely pre-book if you want one of the glass pods. There are more of the 'igllos' since they moved from the other end of the Tower but there are still only about 8 or 10 of them
Old Jun 5th, 2024, 03:12 AM

Try the Byward Kitchen, beside All Hallows Church
https://www.bywardkitchenandbar.com/menu
Old Jun 5th, 2024, 03:55 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PatrickLondon
Try the Byward Kitchen, beside All Hallows Church
https://www.bywardkitchenandbar.com/menu
I missed this one. Looks great. Thanks.
Old Jun 5th, 2024, 04:59 AM

The Byward Kitchen looks wonderful! Am bookmarking that one for my next trip!
Old Jun 5th, 2024, 08:39 AM

I used to work in Tower Place West overlooking the Tower and still go back fairly regularly to meet ex colleagues for lunch and brunch. I have tried most of the eateries over the years. Coppa is good but Byward kitchen is better. If you want something a little cheaper but still good, All Bar One is another fine option, but more of a bar am not sure what time they open for breakfast/brunch though.
Old Jun 5th, 2024, 09:28 AM

Indeed, The Byward Kitchen and Bar is a solid option for an English breakfast within a 5-minute walk from the Tower of London. It opens at 9am, which fits well with early plans, and it's known for its family-friendly atmosphere. Just make sure to verify the current opening hours in case there have been any recent changes.
Old Jun 5th, 2024, 11:15 AM

The Byward is great -- but unfortunately it isn't practical for this OP Opening at 0900 doesn't really work -- one wants to be at the Tower right at or just before opening. Depending on the day, the Tower opens at 0900 (until mid July opening on Sun and Mon it opens at 1000 -- but the rest of the summer opening time is 9AM every day). One would want to be seated and eating by about 8AM at the very latest.
Old Jun 5th, 2024, 11:38 AM

The Byward is great -- but unfortunately it isn't practical for this OP Opening at 0900 doesn't really work -- one wants to be at the Tower right at or just before opening. Depending on the day, the Tower opens at 0900 (until mid July opening on Sun and Mon it opens at 1000 -- but the rest of the summer opening time is 9AM every day). One would want to be seated and eating by about 8AM at the very latest.
Must have missed the part where the OP said they wanted to be at the Tower for opening. Pretty sure Coppa Club also opens at nine so that could be a non starter too. The Ivy may open a bit earlier (at least the one near us does - 08:30 I think.) Other than that there are a few hotels around but the breakfasts wont be anything special. The Four Seasons will be the exception but an expensive option and booking will be essential (wonderful building which featured in the Lara Croft movies.)
Old Jun 5th, 2024, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by crellston
Must have missed the part where the OP said they wanted to be at the Tower for opening.
No, you didn't miss anything because I didn't mention when our entry time was which is 11:00AM (earliest available) so our 9:00AM breakfast reservation should work well.
Old Jun 5th, 2024, 12:49 PM

Crellston, you always know!
Now please explain to me what is an "English breakfast" and is this a breakfast mainly eaten by tourists, or a normal breakfast eaten by many locals?

What are the key ingredients?

Signed, A person who likes food but knows nothing of (typical" food in the UK....although I did have a plowman's lunch years ago at a pub..boring!) ..and I liked the Fergus Henderson restaurant I dined at about six years ago....and a good Pakistani place in the east end...and place called J. Sheekey, I think..all these were during a weekend when my brother in law directed a play at the Royal Court and we flew over...the food was as much fun as the play!!

Old Jun 5th, 2024, 01:42 PM

By 11:00 AM you might have to resign yourselves to missing the Crown Jewels

ekscrunchy: An easy google search will tell you what an English breakfast is . . . nope, it isn't a 'tourist thing' . . .
Old Jun 5th, 2024, 02:23 PM

There’s a picture of a fairly typical English breakfast further up the thread, although it’s not clear whether there is any bacon on there and that would be a standard item. I would argue it’s probably as common a dish as any in the U.K., although called Scottish, Welsh, Irish etc as appropriate and with small regional changes.
Old Jun 5th, 2024, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

By 11:00 AM you might have to resign yourselves to missing the Crown Jewels .
Is that because a long line will have formed by then? FYI, on Mondays (the day we are going) they open at 10:00AM. I wonder if we walked over after breakfast right around 10:00 or 10:15 if they might let us in early? I suppose the worst that could happen is that they say "no", right?
Old Jun 5th, 2024, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JohnEW2912
Thereís a picture of a fairly typical English breakfast further up the thread, although itís not clear whether there is any bacon on there and that would be a standard item. I would argue itís probably as common a dish as any in the U.K.
This makes sense. I suppose that saying that enjoying an English breakfast in London is a tourist thing might be like saying that eating a bagel in New York is a tourist thing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -