My boyfriend and I (both 28 yrs old) are going to be traveling to the UK in late Dec/early January and have made a rough itinerary of places we'd like to see. I just spoke with a frequent UK-tourist and she said driving is nearly impossible in the winter and we should narrow down our list of places to visit. So far this is what we have:
-4 days/5 nights in London
Rent car and drive to:
-1 day at Chester Zoo, 1 night in Liverpool (have to visit the zoo for work)
-1 day/1 night in York
-2 days/ 2 nights in Lake District
-3 days/3 nights in Scottish Highlands (We thought 1 day/night in each of Ft. William, Inverness, & somewhere around Perth)
Return car in Edinburg:
-2 days/2 nights in Edinburg
Fly to London:
-1 day/1 night in London
I'm looking for input on: things to see at that time of year, things to skip that may be closed or boring in winter, and suggestions for alternative routes that may cut down our driving time (or other comparably priced traveling options).
My family is all from Scotland and this would be my first time visiting - so I would like to spend a little time there if possible.
Many thanks in advance!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 My France Vacation
- 2 Tour Company recommendations for St. Petersburg
- 3 10 days in Cologne Munich Switzerland
- 4 Is Bologna ok for a 3 months stsy?
- 5 Car hire from Venice to Croatia and bosnia
- 6 Where to stay in Naples?
- 7 Italy Croatia Bosnia
- 8 Provence and Cote de Azure
- 9 "chunnel" to change it's offical name.
- 10 Andalusia schedule /Cordoba question
- 11 Itinerary for 4 days in Madrid
- 12 And the winner is ...India? Egypt? no, Italy!
- 13 Ronda by bus in early January?
- 14 May Germany, Switzerland, and Iceland
- 15 From Portugal to the Pyrenees and onto Paris
- 16 Sampling Some of Sicily and Bits of Italy Beyond
- 17 More time in Belgium or Germany?
- 18 10 days trip to Europe in June of 2018
- 19 London - Paris - Amsterdam trip planning help
- 20 Paris, Normandy & Amsterdam with College Graduate
- 21 CACHOPO, CABRALES & CARBAYONES Asturias..and "The Best Steak in The World"
- 22 Buying RER Ticket CDG-Paris
- 23 20th wedding anniversary, Le Grand Tour
- 24 Best Greek Island
- 25 Language course in Trieste, Northern Italy