England- York or leeds Castle

Jun 15th, 2006, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

England- York or leeds Castle

One of my final choices to make-
Will it be Leeds castle or the city of York?

or should we just have a day in which nothing is planned?

melissa
Jun 15th, 2006, 06:16 AM

Always a good idea not to tie every minute down, and to be able to chop and change as the weather and everyone's moods dictate.

Of the other alternatives, no contest: York. Leeds Castle takes a pretty picture, but it's not that special.
Jun 15th, 2006, 06:26 AM
kdcwood

Melissa, I'm sorry I haven't followed the rest of your trip planning. I've been to York and also to Leeds Castle... as well as many other wonderful places in England.

Is this intended as a day trip from London or as a destination on the way to/from someplace else? How I respond may depend on the logistics. (Can you possibly link me to another post with your itinerary?)

That said, I also agree with Patrick that there's a real benefit to being flexible and spontaneous.

Kathy

Jun 15th, 2006, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

I think that this will be the last schedule for England .Thanks to all of your great suggestions.
August 16 -Arrive London from US @9:30 am Buckingham Palace & Royal Mews & London Eye
August 17- Big Ben & parliament & 10 Downing St & Traf Square & Cabinet War Rooms
Eat @ Portait Restaurant
See Mary Poppins
August 18 - London Walks tour 10:45 am West Minister Abbey and changing of the guard . London walks tour of Dickens London 2:45
Eat @ Hatfield House
August 19 - British Museum & Dicken's Museum & British Library
August 20-premium Tours -Stonehenge and Bath
August 21- Tower of london & Bridge & HMS Belfast
August 22- Kensington Palace & St Paul's & Globe theater
August 23- Dover Castle or York
August 24- Greenwich
August 25-Stratford-upon-Avon
August 26- Warwick Castle
August 27-Windsor Castle & Imperial War Museum
August 28- Hampton Court
August 29- Train to paris

Melissa
Jun 15th, 2006, 06:58 AM
kdcwood

I'm guessing this is a London based trip and not one that involves driving around England by car...

I would recommend having an "open" day that gives you the opportunity to be flexible, enjoy London, check out something else that you've heard about or saw or that interests you.

You have got an ambitious itinerary, especially packed with day trips from London on the back end. You are also going to see a lot of castles! York is a two hour train trip from London (not including the logistics of getting to the station in London) and back. That's four hours that you could have spent in London. The logistics of getting to Leeds Castle will also chew up close to two hours each way.

Seriously-- think about having an open day. Enjoy strolling in one of the parks, or visiting one of the museums (or revisiting one you especially enjoyed), shopping, people-watching. Or maybe you can pick up half-price tickets to another show.

Just my opinion... based on spending four+ months traveling all around England, including almost four weeks in London.

Kathy

Jun 15th, 2006, 07:01 AM

Two comments:

I don't see any of the big art galleries on there ... National Gallery or National Portrait Gallery. Both are fantastic and free. There's also a lot of good things at Somerset House; three separate museums, and the Courtrald is excellent.

Also, maybe spread your day trips out a bit more? They are all bunched together, and you might need a break from them.
Jun 15th, 2006, 08:36 AM

Windsor Castle and the Imperial War Museum in the same day sounds particularly ambitious and rushed.

If this is a matter of trying to accommodate everyone's interests, is it at all possible to let the party split up and do different things on some days?
Jun 15th, 2006, 09:44 AM

Melissa, I think you have alot of great plans but they are over-planned. You are not allowing much time for unexpected things. Also some of your choices are in opposite ends so to speak, i.e. Windsor Castle and Imperial War Museum. Yes, I suppose you can do the IWM in the a.m. and Windsor in the p.m. or vice versa, but both are worth more then a quick "look see".

York is a full day trip and well worth it, but I also think you might benefit from a little down-time. A little shopping, a visit to Covent Garden, a walk in Hyde Park, or just sort of poking around is always fun. A set in stone schedule makes for a stressful trip.

The British Museum is huge - yes, you can run in and run out, but if you want to see anything plan on being there awhile. I see you are not planning on visiting any other major museums, either by choice or lack of time. The V&A is great, as is National Portrait Gallery, it is a shame to miss them.

I hope you enjoy the trip, but don't try and schedule every minute of it, honestly it will be no fun if you keep one eye on your watch and another on a print out of "where we are supposed to be in 10 min".
Jun 15th, 2006, 09:47 AM

I might add that there can (probably will be) delays to contend with on trains, tube, etc. On one of our trips our train coming back to Marylebone Station from Warwick crawled along at a snails pace for about 45 min. Luckily we had nothing planned that evening as we were "late" getting into London. Also long day trips can be tiring, you may not want to be up at the crack of dawn the next day to start sightseeing.
Jun 15th, 2006, 10:01 AM

You have posted a lot of threads and received a LOT of advice, and I know you have put a lot of thought into this.

But you really are too "Scheduled" IMHO.

Also I know the Stratford/Warwick bit is an overnight excursion. Even taking that into account - you are out of town 7 of the last 9 days. That is REALLY hectic.

A few of your days still need re-thinking. For instance: Kensington Palace and St Pauls/the Globe are quite far apart. And Windsor/Imperial War museum is a tough double. There is a certain logic since you can take the train from Windsor (w/ a change) to Waterloo which is near the Imp War - but still a VERY hectic day.

It looks to me you have evry single minute blocked out - your kids will either colapse or rebel long before you get to Paris.
Jun 15th, 2006, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

I know that you mean well but this schedule has been really cut down.
This has been planned with every one's input.

I put Greenwich on Thursday August 24 leaving August 28 open.If we have nothing to do that day, then we will go to York.Both of my children are really into history so there really is nothing to cut out.
My children are used to vacations like this and are looking forward to seeing all of these places.

Melissa
Jun 15th, 2006, 01:55 PM

Then I would recommend York, as I think it has much more for kids. Jorvik Viking Centre, the Railroad museum, climbing up Clifford hill to the fort, etc. Yorkminster itself is, IMHO, better than any castle. I've heard great recommendations about Betty's Tea Rooms
Jun 15th, 2006, 02:32 PM

I agree with the others that you have a pretty packed schedule. I've been to both York and to Leeds Castle, loved them both, but on your trip would do neither. For one thing, Warwick castle is even better than Leeds, and you are seeing that as well as Windsor, so Leeds is not necessary in order for you to feel you've seen some great English castles. York, which I really loved, would be too rushed as a day trip. We were there two nights and that felt about right. So actually I would plan nothing for that day, you could always fill in with whatever you haven't had time for before, or go back to an area you really loved. But if the day comes and you really want to see one more place, I'd go to Oxford. It's easy and relatively quick to get to from London and has some fantastic architecture and you haven't included either of the "college towns" on your itinerary. But as everyone is saying, you may very well just want to hang around in London.
Jun 15th, 2006, 03:08 PM

"I know that you mean well but this schedule has been really cut down. This has been planned with every one's input."

I'm going to be sorta blunt here - and you'll probably want to tell me to jump in a lake. But I am trying to help.

You started about 65 threads asking for input/advice and understandably got more advice than you could use on 100 trips to London/Paris. It is no wonder you are all over the board. Cutting back from 80 sites to 40 sites (just counting from your newest itinerary) doesn't automatically mean it is a wonderful itinerary.

Your family will LOVE London and Paris but you are not leaving any time to simply enjoy either city w/ constant running from one major site to another. Some of your days are just fine, some aren't -- BUT every minute of every single day is accounted for. Heck, you (probably) don't work 14 straight days but your itinerary is basically "up and at 'em" for 14 straight days.