Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

England - Wells Cathedral Time for a Change!

Aug 23rd, 2010, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

BBC News - Wells Cathedral clock to go electric. The Wells Cathedral clock is to go electric - because the man whose family has wound for 80 years is retiring.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-11040583

progress marches on in England as Wells' Cathedral's famous clock this week was switched to electric winding from hand winding!

Pretty soon in Wells they will have sliced bread, i predict.

BTW - Wells is one of the smallest cathedral towns and to me was a swell swell placet to visit - sublime cathedral or not.

So take some time to stop by Wells if in the West Country - rather close to Glastonbury, England's center of the occult and pseudo sciences i believe.
Aug 23rd, 2010, 01:02 PM

Wells was one of our favorite places on our trip last year. The view from the breakfast room of our B&B was across the green to the cathedral. One of my most beautiful (shocking to me) pictures was of the scissor trusses inside the cathedral. Gorgeous!
Aug 24th, 2010, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

WELLS CATHEDRAL - HOMEWorship information, details of the history, events and education.
www.wellscathedral.org.uk/

Have to check out those scissor trusses!
Aug 24th, 2010, 03:27 PM

Yes, the scissor trusses make a striking architectural detail inside ( and make some pretty interesting photos also.)

The trusses were constructed over 100 years after the cathedral was began, after an elaborate stage to the tower was added. The foundations began to sink and the tower leaned and began to crack due to the additional weight. A master mason (and architectural genius) by the name of William Joy took 10 years, 1338-48, to construct the scissor trusses directly under the tower to redistribute the weight.

Just a little interesting tidbit of info.
Aug 24th, 2010, 03:44 PM

I was 16 when I visited Wells cathedral and it impressed me for life! Amazing architecture.