England - London or countryside?

Apr 20th, 1999, 02:48 PM
Sandra O'Briant

England - London or countryside?

I will be traveling to Europe for the first time this summer. I have a little over 1 month to do these countries, with the bulk being spent in France and Italy. I have 8 days for Great Britain. Should I stay in London and take day tours to Bath, York, Cotswolds, Avebury and Stonehenge? Or should I travel directly to the countryside, stay there and return for 3 days in London? If I choose the latter, can I travel directly from Heathrow? I arrive at 9:00 a.m. If I choose the former, can you recommend tours that shouldn't be missed? I can get an apartment (if I hurry and make up my mind, in London with all the amenities, centrally located for $1000). I don't mind B&B's in the country. Thanks, Sandra

Apr 20th, 1999, 03:52 PM
judy

No question what I'd do: stay in the countryside in a small village. However, you must do some things in London, too. I envy you this wonderful visit...I've been twice, and I've had my fill of London except for the museums and can never get my fill of the English countryside.

Apr 21st, 1999, 01:33 PM
Plato

Hi Sandra,
Like the last reply I'd recomend staying in the countryside & having a feew days in London. You can take the underground (Subway) directly from Heathrow into London.
I live in the Cotswolds one of the most beautiful areas in the UK. It's a bout 90 mins. from london by train, a cheaper way to travel is by bus about 2 hours. You can Travel directly from Heathrow to Cirencester, Cheltenham or Gloucester by bus.
The Cotswolds are very central for visiting Bath, Oxford etc.
I'd be happy to answer any more specific questions you may have.
Regards
Plato

Apr 21st, 1999, 02:09 PM
Ronn

Greetings, Sandra

My wife and I returned last week from 2 weeks in the U.K. My son and his wife live in Wimbledon. We spent five days in the "country". We drove to the small town of Westbury-sub-Mendips; about 75 miles SW of London. We were close to Bath, Wells, Cheddar Gorge and Glastonbury; all very beautiful and steeped in history. Returning to London, we stopped by Stonehenge. The experience was fantastic; lowered my blood pressure considerably. We stayed in a B&B called Stoneleigh. It is a two storied farmhouse built in 1772. Very nice, great hosts and a very filling English breakfast to start a day of sightseeing. The rate was 22 GBP per night. I hope this has been helpful. As with the other replies, I strongly recommend a trip in the country; then, three days in London. Take the Big Red Bus tour the first day in London to orient yourself.
Cheerio,
Ronn

Apr 22nd, 1999, 11:50 AM
Sandra

Thank you so much for your advice - I am moving this question up to remain active.

Apr 22nd, 1999, 08:09 PM
Danni

Dear Sandra:

We've been several times and I highly recommend that you spend as much time as
possible in the Cotswolds. We're going back in May and my husband wants to see something different this time, but I can't imagine a trip to England without some wonderful walks in the Cotswolds. E-mail me for more info.

Apr 22nd, 1999, 08:09 PM
Danni

Dear Sandra:

We've been several times and I highly recommend that you spend as much time as
possible in the Cotswolds. We're going back in May and my husband wants to see something different this time, but I can't imagine a trip to England without some wonderful walks in the Cotswolds. E-mail me for more info.