Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   England - London or countryside? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/england-london-or-countryside-42637/)

Sandra O'Briant Apr 20th, 1999 01:48 PM

England - London or countryside?

I will be traveling to Europe for the first time this summer. I have a little over 1 month to do these countries, with the bulk being spent in France and Italy. I have 8 days for Great Britain. Should I stay in London and take day tours to Bath, York, Cotswolds, Avebury and Stonehenge? Or should I travel directly to the countryside, stay there and return for 3 days in London? If I choose the latter, can I travel directly from Heathrow? I arrive at 9:00 a.m. If I choose the former, can you recommend tours that shouldn't be missed? I can get an apartment (if I hurry and make up my mind, in London with all the amenities, centrally located for $1000). I don't mind B&B's in the country. Thanks, Sandra <BR>

judy Apr 20th, 1999 02:52 PM

No question what I'd do: stay in the countryside in a small village. However, you must do some things in London, too. I envy you this wonderful visit...I've been twice, and I've had my fill of London except for the museums and can never get my fill of the English countryside. <BR>

Plato Apr 21st, 1999 12:33 PM

Hi Sandra, <BR>Like the last reply I'd recomend staying in the countryside & having a feew days in London. You can take the underground (Subway) directly from Heathrow into London. <BR>I live in the Cotswolds one of the most beautiful areas in the UK. It's a bout 90 mins. from london by train, a cheaper way to travel is by bus about 2 hours. You can Travel directly from Heathrow to Cirencester, Cheltenham or Gloucester by bus. <BR>The Cotswolds are very central for visiting Bath, Oxford etc. <BR>I'd be happy to answer any more specific questions you may have. <BR>Regards <BR>Plato

Ronn Apr 21st, 1999 01:09 PM

Greetings, Sandra <BR> <BR>My wife and I returned last week from 2 weeks in the U.K. My son and his wife live in Wimbledon. We spent five days in the "country". We drove to the small town of Westbury-sub-Mendips; about 75 miles SW of London. We were close to Bath, Wells, Cheddar Gorge and Glastonbury; all very beautiful and steeped in history. Returning to London, we stopped by Stonehenge. The experience was fantastic; lowered my blood pressure considerably. We stayed in a B&B called Stoneleigh. It is a two storied farmhouse built in 1772. Very nice, great hosts and a very filling English breakfast to start a day of sightseeing. The rate was 22 GBP per night. I hope this has been helpful. As with the other replies, I strongly recommend a trip in the country; then, three days in London. Take the Big Red Bus tour the first day in London to orient yourself. <BR> Cheerio, <BR> Ronn

Sandra Apr 22nd, 1999 10:50 AM

Thank you so much for your advice - I am moving this question up to remain active. <BR>

Danni Apr 22nd, 1999 07:09 PM

Dear Sandra: <BR> <BR>We've been several times and I highly recommend that you spend as much time as <BR>possible in the Cotswolds. We're going back in May and my husband wants to see something different this time, but I can't imagine a trip to England without some wonderful walks in the Cotswolds. E-mail me for more info.

Danni Apr 22nd, 1999 07:09 PM

Dear Sandra: <BR> <BR>We've been several times and I highly recommend that you spend as much time as <BR>possible in the Cotswolds. We're going back in May and my husband wants to see something different this time, but I can't imagine a trip to England without some wonderful walks in the Cotswolds. E-mail me for more info.