Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

England for one week in mid-May for a student

Apr 8th, 2002, 11:39 PM
Parikh

Alright, I think I'm finally gonna try to splurge and go for a week or so in England right after school gets out. I'm a university student here in the US, and I was wondering if a week was enough to see a good portion of England, or if I should just confine myself to London and the suburbs. I know that it is obviously impossible to see everything in any given period of time, but this time I'll basically be a tourist, hitting all the major points. What would be the best plan for such a trip?

Thanks.

Apr 9th, 2002, 12:00 AM
sylvia

Personally, I'd stick to London if you've only a week. You could possibly have a day at Windsor or a morning or afternoon at Hampton Court. There's just so much to experience in London that I'd not dilute it.

Apr 9th, 2002, 02:49 AM
meg

Hi Parikh
You don't mention your interests. Will you enjoy the museums and galleries? If so, you'll have lots to do in London! Would you like to see a different part of the country outside the capital? If so, a trip to Warwick or Stratford upon Avon will take about 1-2 hours each way by train. Windsor and Hampton Court are very pleasant but will be very busy in mid-may with school parties, both English and french/italian kids. Bath is also very beautiful and easily accessible by train from London.

Apr 9th, 2002, 05:29 AM
Vita

Parikh, I'm also doing a week in England next month. I'm just doing London with a couple of day trips. One day will be with Stonehenge tours to see Stonehenge, Salisbury Cathedral, Avebury, and Sarum Castle. It will only give me a taste of those places, but that's all I really want. I'm also doing another (long) day trip to York.

Apr 9th, 2002, 06:20 AM
xxx

Parikh,

You didn't mention what your interests are, but as a university student (not so long ago for me!) I'd recommend spending a lot of time in London (museums, shopping, lazy days at Regents/Hyde Park), pubs, nightlife, Covent Garden, Oxford Street...).

You might want to spend a day or two in Oxford or Cambridge, because it's fun and there'll still be students at both places as the schools don't let out until June. You can try going punting down the river, see the sights and hang out with other students.

There's so much to see and do in London. Don't forget the market at Camden (check which days they are open). Have fun!

Apr 9th, 2002, 11:35 AM
Parikh

Cool, thanks for all the info. Actually, I figure I'll fly out on the 15th (essentially losing that day) and come back on the 24th (another day of travel). That basically gives me 8 days of actual sightseeing. I guess I never really considered what I'm interested in seeing, but thanks for all the suggestions, I'll have to check some of those out. I wouldn't mind checking out museums, pubs, and the Thames in London, and then some castles and other sights away from London. In 8 days, I think I can do something like 4 of those in London and 4 away from the city. Hopefully it'll all work out.

Thanks again!

Apr 10th, 2002, 07:33 PM
xxx

I posted earlier but thought of more suggestions. I absolutely love London and hope that you will to.

Buy a Time Out London magazine (different from the book) when you get there, or get one here at Borders etc and get a feel for what's happening in London when you arrive. Also check the Time Out website for ideas on what to do. I believe they have a Student Guide for those traveling on a budget.

Check guides for ideas - good ones are Time Out, Up Close, Let's Go, www.thisislondon.com, www.lastminute.com, www.virgin.com, www.ticketmaster.co.uk.

Suggestions for things to do (aside from those already posted):
-watch a musical/play. Half price tickets can be obtained from official ticket stands at Leicester Square
-Hippodrome/Scala/Chinawhite/etc for the club scene
-hang out at a pub and watch 'footie' (soccer) with the locals
-try pub food for lunch. It's pretty good
-fish & chips
-visit Harrod's Food Hall - yes, it's affordable
-Notting Hill for antiques, Camden for more funky items
-if you're there on a Sunday (I think) go listen to speakers at the Speakers Corner at Hyde Park
-take a walk by the river and over a bridge or two
-if you like books, stroll down Charing Cross for second hand books
-watch foreign movies. Offerings in London are pretty good
-London Eye, though jury's out on this one
-Cadbury chocolates

Historic Sites:
British Museum
National Gallery of Art
Tower of London (get there early because the lines can be horrible)
Westminster Abbey
V&A Museum
Tate Modern & Tate Britain
Hampton Court

Shopping:
Top Shop/Top Man, H&M, Zara, Bond St for posh stuff, Covent Garden and Notting Hill have cool boutiques

Good luck.

Apr 10th, 2002, 10:11 PM
John H

Hi, Parikh,

I was in London several times during my student days. I would definitely suggest spending your time in London and doing a day trip or two. The things I most enjoyed:

Going to different pubs (great places for lunches as well): definitely go on one of the organized "pub crawls" put on by London Walks or others, where you meet at an appointed time at a certain tube stop and go to 3 or 4 pubs over a couple of hours time span. You'll meet others on these pub crawls and will really enjoy it. If there's one around Covent Garden, do take that one -- great area. (TimeOut lists these under their Walks section; other (non-pub crawl) walks are very informative and enjoyable as well).

Evensong at one of the churches: roughly an hour of choir music (usually all boys choirs) -- Saturday nights and usually a week night as well, if I recall.

Walking the different neighborhoods: Mayfair, Bloomsbury, Knightsbridge, Piccadilly -- London is definitely a great city to walk -- and the tube is simple and efficient to use as well.

Sitting in on a session of Parliament

Of the toursity sights, I like the Tower of London and Churchill's War Rooms best of all

Cambridge and/or Oxford: Oxford is more urban, Cambridge more rural -- if you go to Cambridge, I believe Kings College's famous choir has evensong on Tuesday nights

The Salisbury, Stonehenge tour sounds like a good day's outing as well.

Have a great trip.

John H.

Apr 11th, 2002, 01:47 AM
Parikh

Awesome! Thanks for the "off the beaten path" recommendations. Looks like I'll have to narrow those down a bit, but otherwise I should be able to see plenty. I can hardly wait to get there.