Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   England: 10 Day Cotswold Walking Tour: weather at end of May??? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/england-10-day-cotswold-walking-tour-weather-at-end-of-may-920356/)

kiki123 Jan 19th, 2012 05:53 AM

England: 10 Day Cotswold Walking Tour: weather at end of May???

We're also considering a trip to England, with a 10 day Cotswold walking tour. Weather is an issue... can you tell me what the weather may be like at the end of May to beginning of June? (Just the normal predicted weather... of course there can always be storms!) Thanks much.

kiki123 Jan 19th, 2012 05:54 AM

I mean weather conditions in the Cotswold at that time.

willit Jan 19th, 2012 06:01 AM

We wish we knew. Weather has not been cooperating in the last few years - Often April and Early may have been gloriously sunny, only for the rest of "summer" to be grey and overcast.

As a rule, the end of may should be OK, but weather patterns have been too unsettled recently to make a definite prediction.

annhig Jan 19th, 2012 06:26 AM

yes - it could be great or you could have 10 days of rain.

flanneruk Jan 19th, 2012 06:55 AM

Though our weather is claimed to be unpredictable, certain things are close to certain at the end of May if you're walking here

- Temps above 80 F are almost unheard of at that time of the year, and most of the Cotswolds is high enough, and sheltered enough, to make even the odd very hot (which here means above 70) bearable
- Daytime temps below 50 are close to unheard of too
- Nowhere on any footpath here is more than about 2.5 miles from a nice pub. So even if it rains, you're never more than an hour's brisk walk from getting dry
- Rain is probable at some time in any 10 days here, although we're still technically in drought. But our rain's not like most other people's: we get less of it than soaked hellholes like New York or Tel Aviv, and that little is spread far more thinly, so in May it's often pretty much the same as a natural atomiser. Just have a decent light outer jacket.

Late May's not quite the best time of the year for walking here, as you can get a bit sweaty after a couple of hours in the sun if it's hot: you really do need decent sunblock, since the risk of sunburn is almost as high as it ever gets. Mid-April to mid May and mid-Sept to mid-Oct are the very best times. But since our climate is the best in the world for proper walking, you'll almost certainly be here for almost but not quite the best walking weather you'll ever find.

nytraveler Jan 19th, 2012 09:23 AM

You will have some vague idea about 3 days in advance.

In late May or early June the temps are usually mild (high around 70) and you may get sunshine, clouds, mist, drizzle and/or rain - often all in one day. If any of those (except heavy rain) would ruin your vacation - I think you need to pick another country.

alanRow Jan 19th, 2012 09:29 AM

<i>You will have some vague idea about 3 days in advance.</i>

"Vague" as in "might be sunny, rainy, cloudy, foggy, hot cold..."

Or it might not

janisj Jan 19th, 2012 09:52 AM

OK -- ignore parts of nytraveler's post (meant in the <i>nicest</i> possible way)

You won't know 3 days in advance. The highs <i>might</i> be around 70 -- or nowhere near 70.

The rest >><i>you may get sunshine, clouds, mist, drizzle and/or rain - often all in one day.</i><< all true

kiki123 Jan 26th, 2013 10:28 AM

Thanks very much for all your help. That narrows it down... lol!