Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Engelberg and Engadine Switzerland (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/engelberg-and-engadine-switzerland-900201/)

danen5 Jul 25th, 2011 09:47 AM

Engelberg and Engadine Switzerland

This is our trip report from a fabulous hiking trip to Switzerland.

Our first day of arrival was June 18th. We booked the ALPHAVEN in Engleberg for our first three night. Believe me--it is heaven on this earth. In fact, from the wrap-around magnificent balcony, you can see the Hahnen - which is where Engelberg recieved its name : Angle Moutain. Mt Spannort and Mt Titlis are also easily seen. Titlis is the highest mountain in central Switzerland @3200 metres, topped by the Steinberg Glacier. The owners, John and Ursula and their assistant, Candi were most helpful with tips on our day hikes as well as general information about the area. ALPHAVEN is composed of 3 different apartments. We rented Apt A and Apt C for our group of 8 adults. It was MOST confortable. There is a hot tub on the deck, very spacious bedrooms, fabulous balconies, and the units are completely equipped with the most thoughful amenities. It is a drive or taxi ride into town, but after hitting the grocery store we just wanted to stay and absorb the relaxation. While in Engelberg, we toured on Lake Lucerne one day. The drive into Lucerne was so beautiful through the narrow valley of Engelberg. It took us about 30 minutes. On our second day we rode the cable car Furenalp and hiked around the back of the mountain. It was about a 7 easy mile hike and ever so beautiful. Waterfalls and wildflowers and cows with bells. Ahhhh - the best. Each evening we returned to our little Mountain Chalet and watched the sunset over the mountains and cute town of Engelberg. I would return to ALPHAVEN in a heart beat. Their website is very thorough and the pictures don't lie --it's beautiful. www.alphaven.ch.

After Engelberg we dropped our rental car in Lucerne and took the train to charming Guarda, in the Lower Engadine. I would definitley recommend some sort of a swiss pass or flex pass as rail travel, and lifts, and boat rides add up very fast. From Guarda we hike to the Chammana Tuoi, along the base of the Piz Buin. It was beautiful, abounding with waterfalls and wildflowers.

Our next day we traveled by train to Punt Muragl and hiked the Muottas Muragl. It was raining this day so our hike was fun and exhilarating but the overlooks were fogged in and the path very sloppy. The rain continued into the next day so we decided to take the train to Diavolezzo. It was magnificent and we were able to get a good hike in due to a break in the weather. We continued by train on to Poschiavo for a "dry" afternoon and it was a delightful train ride. Caution: the Engadine cards that you receive are only good to Alp Grun which is just south of Diavolezzo - so watch your stops.

Sils Maria was our next village and our most favorite. There were cute little shops and a lake and the city is surrounded by the majestic mountains. We hiked out of Sils to Grevasalas aka the Heidi Valley. The little hamlets and mountain trails were like walking into a time warp - fabulous.

Our final day ( and probably our favorite hike) was to the village of Soglio. The magnificent granite peaks of the Val Bregaglia shadowed our path. We took the higher elevation which made this hike very long (11.25 miles). Actually - we got lost and didn't realize it until we hit a little village of Bruni - about 1,000 meters ABOVE where we needed to be. Oh well -- it's rather funny NOW. Soglio was amazing - built entirely of stone ( including the roofs) and it is perched on the mountain side.

I used the company Ryder-Walker to help us facilitate the trip. They did a super job. Our hotels were all great - the maps were excellent -and our luggage was always waiting at the end of our day. What a treat to just walk out of a hotel with a day pack and water.

I look forward to our return to Switzerland!!

Jennifer_Scutari Jul 25th, 2011 10:32 AM

Sounds wonderful! I am kicking myself for not going to Engelberg after all. Will definitely do that next year. Thanks for the lodging information. Looks GREAT!!

mokka4 Jul 26th, 2011 03:45 AM

Wonderful report! Loved these same areas.

Ingo Jul 26th, 2011 09:38 AM

Thanks for the report, sounds wonderful. Guarda, Sils and Soglio ... all among my favourites.

susan001 Jul 26th, 2011 10:49 AM

Thank you for your report! I loved Guarda and Soglio when I stayed there. So much to see and do in that region. I will definitely stay in Sils Maria one day soon (haven't been yet).

docdan Apr 12th, 2012 11:18 AM

Hi, thanks for the report - could you please elaborate on what and where you hiked when you got to diavolezza? d you basically jsut walk around the terrace there?

Ingo Apr 12th, 2012 01:03 PM

In case danen5 is not around: In summer you can hike from Diavolezza to Munt Pers, about 2 hours. There is also a trail in the other direction to Piz Trovat. But forget that end of May. No hiking on top of Diavolezza then.