Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Engadine Valley in early June?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/engadine-valley-in-early-june-1015403/)

Pam09 May 26th, 2014 10:52 AM

Engadine Valley in early June??

My husband and I are planning on taking the Bernina Express June 5th and were considering staying somewhere in the Engadine Valley (and preferably convenient to the rail trail) for 3 nights. In researching places to stay though, it looks like this is very pre season, and not worth the stop. Thoughts?? We are a flexible well traveled older couple. Prefer hiking, to shopping. Don't need glitz and glamour and prefer adventures, views and new discoveries. Thanks in advance!

Melnq8 May 26th, 2014 11:00 PM

All of our trips to Switzerland have been in the off season and we never have trouble finding things to do - always enjoyable, regardless of the time of year.

We found Samedan a good base, plenty of hikes year round (we went pre-ski season in early Dec). You might also consider Pontresina.

Our resident Engadine expert Ingo can give you a month's worth of things to see and do. You'll be spoiled for choice.

In the meantime, you might get some ideas here:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...r-oberland.cfm

Ingo May 27th, 2014 10:44 AM

June 5th to 8th is sort of shoulder season, but that doesn't mean everything is closed. For example, spas/pools in Pontresina, Sils, Samedan, Zernez are open. Segantini museum and Engadine museum in St. Moritz are open. The upscale hotels start their summer season (Kempinski Grandhotel des Bains in St. Moritz, Waldhaus in Sils e.g.). Horse-drawn carriages Pontresina - Val Roseg start again 1 June.

Most cable cars are still closed, true. St. Moritz-Signal opens 7 June, ditto Muottas Muragl. Diavolezza, however, is open winter until fall.

Pensiun and Restaurant Crasta in Fex Valley (Sils) open 1 June, Hotel Waldhaus opens 6 June. So, a walk in the Fex valley is a good option.

In St. Moritz, cafes Hanselmann and Hauser are open, several restaurants, too, especially around the railway station by the lake (Waldhaus am See e.g.).

In Pontresina, a lot of hotels/restaurants are either open anyway or open 6 June. Cafes, too - Gredig and Kochendörfer highly recommended. The shop of the cheese makers is also open.

Samedan is less touristy and more administrative centre, where locals live. Thus less hotels are open, but restaurants, cafes, shops are - many even all year through.

You should not have problems finding options for fine hiking. Granted, some mountain restaurants and many huts will still be closed. My recommendations would be Muottas Muragl on one day, hiking to Alp Languard, down either by chair-lift (opens 8 June if I recall correctly) or hiking to Pontresina. The other day would be perfect either with a horse-drawn carriage ride from the Pontresina railway station to Hotel Roseggletscher, hiking further into the valley to the glacier lake (with icebergs), or up to Fuorcla Surlej and down from there via lake Hahnensee to St. Moritz (check weather conditions and snow, quite long and exhausting). Or from Sils to Fex Valley, first up to Marmore viewpoint, along the sunny slopes (wildflowers!) to Hotel Fex (still closed, I think), back to Fex Crasta, where the restaurant is open, and finally back to Sils, either passing Hotel Waldhaus (pop in for a coffee or tea!) or through the small gorge of the Fex river. Add a walk along lake Sils, best around peninsula Chaste.

neckervd May 27th, 2014 01:12 PM

....and don't forget that June is the best month for seeing tons of blooming mountain flowers.

Scheduled boat traffic between Sils and Maloja (Lake Sils/Lej da Segl) start on June 10th

Pam09 May 28th, 2014 07:44 AM

You all are the best!! A special thanks to Ingo who is obviously Engadine's expert!! So we will definitely enjoy. It doesn't sound much different (in terms of what is open and what isn't) than Bernese Oberland where we are now (in the rain :.( Would Celerina be a good place to stay??

Ingo May 28th, 2014 09:34 AM

Yes, I like Celerina very much. More would be open in Samedan, though. Bigger grocery (COOP) also, and livelier in this season.

Enjoy!

neckervd May 29th, 2014 02:24 AM

But don't forget that there are 2 local buses and 2 trains between St. Moritz - Celerina - Samedan every hr. The ride from Celerina to both places lasts not more than 5 min!

Pam09 Jun 5th, 2014 07:20 AM

LOVE CELERINA!

Ingo Jun 5th, 2014 09:12 AM

And the weather co-operates, too! :-)

Pawleys Jun 5th, 2014 09:47 AM

Bookmarking

yestravel Jun 5th, 2014 10:14 AM

How about the weather beginning of October? Thanks

kja Jun 5th, 2014 04:02 PM

I was in the Lower Engadine, based in Guarda, last June 7 to 9, and in the Upper Engadine, based in Pontresina, from June 9 to 12. Loved it! The Lower Engadine and the Val Bregaglia were filled with gloriously blooming wildflowers. Enjoy!

Ingo Jun 5th, 2014 09:03 PM

Usually perfect weather for hiking in early October. Excellent foliage, too, with golden larches mostly.

WeisserTee Jun 6th, 2014 03:09 AM

The weather over the next few days should be great, but keep in mind that in the mountain regions, pockets of thunderstorms can pop up any time, especially when the temps have gotten suddenly warmer.

Pam09 Jun 6th, 2014 07:43 AM

Perfect hike today in the Fex Valley!! Thanks Ingo on the recommendation!!!!

Ingo Jun 6th, 2014 08:06 AM

I'm green of envy!