Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Emilia-Rom. or Amalfi in Sept.? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/emilia-rom-or-amalfi-in-sept-151854/)

John Jul 29th, 2001 01:29 PM

Emilia-Rom. or Amalfi in Sept.?

Hi, I have been planing to take my wife to Sorrento in mid Sept..It seems to be very touresty at that time and I nor my travel agent can find us a room under 300.00.I was thinking of doing a gastronomic tour of Emilia Romagna and getting more bang for the buck and a void the crowds. Everyone I talk to says how wonderful the Amalfi coast is but I want to be a welcome guest not a cow in the herd. Please, I respect this forums opinions and need your help.John

john Jul 29th, 2001 03:05 PM

This forum moves very fast. I don't want my question to get buried, I really need HELP! I know I have come to the right place. Your responce to these posting are wonderful bits of info!

Patsy Klontz Jul 29th, 2001 04:14 PM

John, <BR>Although I cannot speak to how crowded Sorrento will be in September, I can tell you it is very touristy, and you might consider trying one of the other towns along the magnificent Amalfi Coast. We were there in November when crowds were nonexistent, but I wish I had planned for more time in Ravello and some of the other towns along the way instead of Sorrento. If you do go to Sorrento, be sure your room has a view of the coast. Our hotel was budget in every respect except for the view which was five star. P Klontz

Mel Jul 30th, 2001 02:29 AM

We were in the Amalfi coast in June, and am going back in September. I can't say how touristy it will be, but I can't imagine it will be too bad because most Europeans visit there July/August, and remember that all Italian and UK families, for e.g., will have left as school will have started. My partner and I love Amalfi coast and preferred Amalfi, which is a great centre for visiting towns like Sorrento, Positano, Ravello, Maiori, Capri etc., and is a direct 1 1/2 hour bus trip from Naples. Sorrento is great for shopping and has the best nightlife in the area, but doesn't have any beach, it's on the clifftop, so like Patsy says, you need a hotel that has a bathing platform on the sea. I have emailed a few hotels and have come up with a few available for between L200.000 and L240.000 per night. I'm surprised you've had difficulty finding cheaper hotels in Sorrento, there should be plenty for less than L300.000. For Amalfi etc. try the website www.costadiamalfi.it for a few hotels listed. In Amalfi you'll find Hotel Sole, Hotel Aurora (**), Hotel Lidomare (**), Hotel Amalfi (***), Hotel dei Cavalieri (***) are at the cheaper end (and they all had availability for the first week in Sept - so you might be in luck). Hope this helps

dale Jul 30th, 2001 09:06 AM

take a look at hotel onda verde web site. stayed there a year ago on half pensione. nice people, good food, convenient location, dynamite view.