Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Emailing credit card info for a deposit on hotel - eeekkk!! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/emailing-credit-card-info-for-a-deposit-on-hotel-eeekkk-1035189/)

DebitNM Jan 21st, 2015 09:57 AM

Emailing credit card info for a deposit on hotel - eeekkk!!

I am trying to make a hotel reservation in Italy. The hotel's website doesn't have a place to book online with a secured system. You send an inquiry, they emailed back with rates and now want my CC info to hold room. I am not comfortable doing this - how else can I get the info to hotel?

DebitNM Jan 21st, 2015 09:59 AM

Of course, as soon as I submitted this, I realized - duh - just call the hotel!

You are free to carry on.... LOL

greg Jan 21st, 2015 10:16 AM

They usually want something written, not oral.
You can use multiple media strategy. Some portion of number and expiration in one media, remaining part in another. Multiple faxes, email and fax combination, etc.
I do this all the time and the hotels are used to this. If the hotel is listed under booking sites with secure booking capability, and the offer is similar, you can also use the booking site.

StuDudley Jan 21st, 2015 10:36 AM

If a hotel wants CC info, I reply with two e-mails. The first listing the first 6 or so numbers, and the second the remaining numbers plus the 3 security numbers if they insist on this info too.

Stu Dudley

DebitNM Jan 21st, 2015 10:55 AM

I called, it worked.

Percy Jan 21st, 2015 11:00 AM

I agree DebitNM with the duh !!

I also call the hotel in most cases even when it is payable online.

HappyTrvlr Jan 21st, 2015 11:28 AM

I have sent faxes several times in the past. Glad you're all set.

NYCFoodSnob Jan 21st, 2015 12:04 PM

There is an abundance of good information on the internet about this subject. I don't recommend the two email process, because there is no way to be sure when your emails will arrive or if they will arrive together. And there's no way to guarantee that a single individual will receive or see both emails and log your reservation confirmed.

IMO, faxing the information is best. Most hotels want the information in writing.

MaineGG Jan 21st, 2015 12:25 PM

Really, whether sent to a hotel in one email, two emails, a fax, or called in, isn't the risk ultimately dependent on how carefully and honestly the hotel handles the information and who has access to it? I've been sending CC info in one email for years now and so far have never had a problem (I'm touching wood). Maybe I'm too trusting?

DebitNM - Did the hotel request your security code?

DebitNM Jan 21st, 2015 12:28 PM

No, they only asked for CC# and expiration. It was just to guarantee reservation. They did request I pay in cash at hotel :o)

StuDudley Jan 21st, 2015 12:34 PM

>>Really, whether sent to a hotel in one email, two emails, a fax, or called in, isn't the risk ultimately dependent on how carefully and honestly the hotel handles the information and who has access to it?<<

Yep

I'm mainly concerned with e-mail hacks on the internet.

Stu Dudley