Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Elvira: Where is Mickey D's in Paris? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/elvira-where-is-mickey-ds-in-paris-103777/)

celia lynn Feb 2nd, 2001 05:39 PM

Elvira: Where is Mickey D's in Paris?

Who has the best bread in Montmartre? Where is Mickey D's ? Has anyone been to the chocolate shop on Ile St. Louis? Any suggestions on the best spot along the Seine for a picnic?

gb Feb 2nd, 2001 06:06 PM

I know there is a McDonald's in walking distance of the palace of Versaille. We stopped there ;-) for a coke with ice.

celia lynn Feb 2nd, 2001 06:39 PM

This IS NOT spam...These places were mentioned in the threads and recommended.So far, everyone has been really helpful and not ------ like you!

Caitlin Feb 2nd, 2001 06:47 PM

Jeez, Celia, gb was clearly trying to be helpful, what's the problem? <BR> <BR>People really don't plop down on the street next to the river in Paris for picnics, as far as I can tell. So my vote is the Pont Neuf, at the foot of the Ile de la Cite near the Palais du Justice. On one side, there are a couple of semi-circular benches built in that are a nice place to stop and have good views.

Sue Feb 2nd, 2001 09:53 PM

Mickey-Ds, they're everywhere. Picnic at the Square du Vert Gallant, a park at the pointy end of Ile de la Cite near Pont Neuf. Maybe that's the same place Caitlin was talking about? (not to seem redundant)

elaine Feb 3rd, 2001 01:54 AM

There's a McDo (local nickname) <BR>on the Champs Elysees that is kind of grungy inside, and there is a nicer one <BR>near the toy dept of the departments store Galeries Lafayette

clairobscur Feb 3rd, 2001 07:05 AM

<BR> I second Sue. The Vert Galant is a pleasant place to eat a sandwich. I sometimes do. When the weather in fine,in summer, there's often people who come at night on the Pont des Arts (pedestrian bridge between the Louvre and the Institut de france)and have a picnic there, using the benches without back as tables. From there, you can see the illuminated monuments (including the eiffel tower)while eating.

celialynn Feb 3rd, 2001 07:42 AM

Sorry,gb! I've never heard McDonalds referred to as "Mickey D's"! I thought It was some neat, offbeat place to eat. <BR>I appologize to you. I'm definitely looking for "Paris" goodies. And I'll definitely look up that bench. Once again, "Sorry".

Patrick Feb 3rd, 2001 09:09 AM

Elvira: if you see this message, please don't answer it. It would totally destroy my illusions to think that you would know or even care where a MacDonalds is in Paris!! <BR>PS: Didn't we have a great lunch last week in Ft. Lauderdale? We're still laughing!

Caitlin Feb 3rd, 2001 09:30 AM

Gee, Patrick, I guess you missed her recent rec. to go get a Big Mac and a beer while in Paris. I think she was serious, too...

gb Feb 3rd, 2001 01:53 PM

No spam means I don't want to leave my email address because of all the x rated messages that come from this site-not to imply you were spam <BR>And sad as it is, we really did stop at a McDonald's near Versailles. My husband and I only had a coke with ice (really, really). But, the kids did have a burger-It was the end of a three week trip, and we relented.;-) A funny side thought--we parked our car near the McDonald's. When we couldn't find it, we asked a 10 or 11 yr old who was smoking a cigarette with a much older women if he knew where Mc Donald's was. Sure, enough we found our car quickly. Oh, we also noticed, that McD's is not really "fast" food in France. It took about 15 minutes to get a hamburger.

xxx Feb 3rd, 2001 02:05 PM

It never occurred to me to go all the way to France for a Whopper. Are they better than French cuisine do you suppose? Maybe its for the kids? <BR>Strikes me as the equivalent of taking a vacation in the Caribbean and watching TV in your room.

Roger Feb 3rd, 2001 02:08 PM

My understanding is that the beef used in the burger joints in France comes from England and Germany. <BR>Would there not be a risk of Mad Cow Disease. It appears to me that the disease continues to make inroads throughout Europe. I'd stay clear of burgers.

gb Feb 3rd, 2001 02:36 PM

Hmm, I wonder if I can blame some of my teenage daughter's behavior on Mad Cow Disease? Is there a lawsuit there? ;-) just kidding.

J.M. Feb 3rd, 2001 06:52 PM

So...just to clarify....Celia Lynn was asking about a place called Mickey D's, which is NOT a McDonald's, right? But other folks thought she was referring to McDonald's, I suppose, since many ppl know the fast food chain by the familiar nickname of MickeyD's. <BR> <BR>As far as I can tell, no one has answered her question: is there a place actually called Mickey D's, and if so, where is it?

J.M. Feb 3rd, 2001 06:55 PM

*SIGH* Upon reading the original question again...perhaps I am confused. Oh well...a perpetual state of existence for me, &lt;LOL&gt;.

Patrick Feb 4th, 2001 06:39 AM

No, Caitlin, I refuse to believe it; you must have made that up! I will not allow my Elvira illusions to be shattered!

clairobscur Feb 4th, 2001 06:39 AM

JM : The only times I saw the name "Mickey D", is was on the travel boards and refering to Mc Donalds.

d Feb 4th, 2001 06:58 AM

in england we call it "macky d's" or just "macky's". <BR> <BR>when i first heard my friends talking bout going there i didn't know what they were on about. until we dot there and it all clicked into place. <BR> <BR>in france and japan they cal in "mcdo". <BR> <BR>xd

Jayelle Feb 4th, 2001 08:04 AM

If Celia was actually asking about McDonald's locations, I picked up a map of Paris at a McDonald's during my trip back in 1995 which I still have. As you might expect, in addition to indicating all of the major tourist attractions (its actually a pretty good map!), it helpfully shows the locations of all of the McDonald's in Paris. You might be interested to know that at that time, there were 35 McDonald's in Paris, and an additional 14 in the surrounding suburbs, for a total of 49. I'd assume that there are probably more by now, so there shouldn't be any problem finding one. I have heard, however, that their business has been hurt recently by the Mad Cow disease scare.