Ellenem Florence Italy help with restorante omero and return to Florence

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ellenem - I have a few notes from you in my Florence file and would appriciate yours and others feedback pertaining to the following questions given that my husband is in a wheelchair for distance. We are in Florence for 7 days and not in a hurry. We will be there in Sept 2009.

1) Omero - would you suggest a taxi or do you think the bus from Florence will be manageable?

2) With stops, do you think we can manage the walk down to Florence?

3) Any other suggestions for our stay?
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 05:29 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
ttt
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 06:43 AM

Sorry for the delay--my laptop cord broke and I couldn't charge it.

1) If your husband is in a wheelchair, by all means take a taxi to Omero. There is no reason to consider doing this by bus. (A bus goes almost to the door, but this bus runs infrequently and you'd have to switch from another bus from central Florence. Another route goes nearby, but then you'd have to walk and/or push the wheelchair up the steepest part of the hill.)

2) Part of the route is missing sidewalks and/or pedestrian paths. The most direct route is just over 2 KM to the Ponte Vecchio. I'd prefer the walk on less busy streets over to Piazzale Michelangelo, and then into town--which is closer to 4 km to the Ponte Vecchio. This restaurant is in the HILLS. Some parts are steeper than others, but I'm not sure I'd want to try to keep a wheelchair under control over some of it. You indicate that your husband can walk a bit--could he manage on a steeper incline? You could take a taxi and judge for yourself on the ride up.

It might be helpful for you to check Google Earth. You can plug in Pian del Giullari and then tilt the image so you can see the elevation of the hills.

3) The main part of Florence is relatively flat and compact. The very center is pedestrian only--wide walkways which might seem good for wheelchairs aside from the fact that it's all cobblestones to bump over. On regular streets, sidewalks are, for the most part, narrow and often blocked with Vespas, bikes, trash bins, and so forth. After a day or two, you'll get the idea of which streets are the best routes for you.

Having no idea of your particular interests, I'm not sure what other suggestions to make. Where are you staying?

Old Feb 4th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for topping kybourbon and Ellenem for your response.

We will be staying at Villa Antea for 5 nights in Sept. The address is Via Puccinotti 50129.

We like to walk/roll for many miles during our vacation days, but cobblestones are hard on the rider as well as the driver. We would like to try to see Florence by area so we don't double up much. We enjoy museums, music, people watching, eating as well as dining.

We will spend one afternoon following your advice regarding walking/taxi/Omero.

Any tips for staying cool on a hot day? Are the museums air conditioned?

Any suggestions for our 5 days would be welcomed.

Thanks,
Gynna
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 07:10 AM

Villa Antea looks like a very nice place but it's a bit far from the center for my taste. Since you will be in Florence for 7 days, this is less of a problem. You may welcome being a bit removed from the busy center.

There is no guarantee that anything in Italy is air conditioned--it can be very hit or miss. However so many buildings are constructed of thick stone, so it is often cooler inside such buildings--in winer it is often warmer outside.

Florence is well-known for being very hot, though by September some of that should have passed. Many people escape the heat of town by taking a trip to the "mountains." Some escape to Siena or another hill town. An ride into the hills surrounding Florence might offer coolr temps--take the local #7 bus to Fiesole or #10 bus to Settignano.

Old Feb 5th, 2009, 10:13 AM

-in winTer it is often warmer outside.
Old Feb 5th, 2009, 11:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You might find some helpful info here:

http://www.globalaccessnews.com/vicenzachabner05.htm

The section on Florence is at "IX" after Venice/Verona.