Electricity Adaptors for Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2018, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there, hubby and I are planning our first trip to Italy and I'm trying to learn as much as I can before we leave (Oct 2018).

I've noticed that most electricity adaptors say they work for phones, laptops etc, but that another convertor is needed in order to use hair dryers.

Can someone please enlighten me? Thank you
Old Mar 19th, 2018, 12:44 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
If the appliance is dual voltage you can use the same plug adapter. If it isn't dual voltage . . . don't take it. Otherwise you'd need a converter plus a plug adapter.

Most hotels and apartments provide hair dryers though, so you most likely don't need to take one at all (a European hair dryer will work better than a dual voltage US model)
Old Mar 19th, 2018, 12:48 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Most of our devices are dual voltage. A CONVERTER is used to change the voltage.A plug ADAPTOR is needed as European plugs take two round pins; the UK is different from both US and Continental Europe.
Buy a dual travel hair dryer if you need one. I bought mine at Magellans and I just turn the screw to the US or European voltage. Every hotel , BnB or apartment where we’ve stayed in Europe has had a hair dryer so I rarely take mine along anymore.
Old Mar 19th, 2018, 12:51 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
The electronics we use when we travel (phones, tablets, laptops) are dual voltage, only need an adapter.

Last edited by MmePerdu; Mar 19th, 2018 at 12:53 PM.
Old Mar 19th, 2018, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hair dryer + converter is a tricky combination. You can quickly look up reviews with large number of people reporting incompatibilities.
It is best not use bring this combination only to use up your luggage space and add to the weight only to bring them back unused.
Look at your hair dryer. If it has a voltage switch switch, you can use your dryer with just an adapter, however, it would be wimpy. We took one of those dual voltage hair dryer on our first trip to Europe only to realize just how wimpy it was. We now don't bother and always use the hotel dryer. Sometimes it is weak, but not as weak as the dual voltage dryer operating at 220v. If they don't have one in the room, there is usually a box full of hair dryers to borrow at the front desk.