Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Electrical plug outlet at Schipol, Amsterdam (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/electrical-plug-outlet-at-schipol-amsterdam-669339/)

Dawes Jan 11th, 2007 09:34 AM

Electrical plug outlet at Schipol, Amsterdam

I will be flying from Canada to India via Schipol airport and was wondering if it is possible to find any electical outlets to charge the battries for the laptop and portable dvd player?
I do have a transformer that can adapt to any country's electricity plugs and convert voltage back to 120 V.
Can someone familair with Amsterdam airport please let me know if (and where) it is possible to find some electical outlets that will let me do the recharging?
I wont mind even using a lounge even if I have to pay a bit to do so.
Thanks in advance to all.

Dawes Jan 12th, 2007 05:32 AM

???

alanRow Jan 12th, 2007 05:38 AM

There are outlets at Schiphol - just that it's unlikely they'll be in a comfortable spot as they are generally intended for electrical equipment used at Schiphol

Dawes Jan 12th, 2007 09:07 AM

Thanks alanRow

Dukey Jan 12th, 2007 09:13 AM

I would take a look at gate waiting areas as you may pass them; there may very well be some outlets along the walls of those you could use as we find in many airports in the US.

Michel_Paris Jan 12th, 2007 09:25 AM

There is a business centre at the Airport, upstairs, near the chapel. I know they have PCs,etc... there, so I would think that would be the place to try.
Enjoy your trip...from a fellow canuck.

Dawes Jan 12th, 2007 11:55 AM

Thanks a lot Michel_Paris & Dukey
Much relieved now.
cheers

smarty Jan 12th, 2007 12:30 PM

What about trying to secure a seat with outlet on your flights so you will arrive fully charged?

Also, please be careful about converting the voltage, most computers and dvd players will be dual voltage and you'll need only the plug adaptors...just check to be sure so there will be no damage to the equipment.

Dukey Jan 12th, 2007 12:33 PM

Since many electronics are made for worldwide use you simply need to check the "brick" for your computer. If it says 100-220/240V then all you need is the so-called "Continental Plug" adaptor with two round pins.

twk Jan 12th, 2007 01:47 PM

Can't help you on the specific question, but as for people doubting traveller's ability to find outlets at airports, you might be surprised. The Dallas Morning News had a story on exactly this subject, and the airports are keenly aware of this need and starting to take steps to address it.

rkkwan Jan 12th, 2007 01:54 PM

I have sat on the floor of many airports here and abroad next to my charging iPod or phone.

Dawes Jan 15th, 2007 07:58 AM

"Author: rkkwan
Date: 01/12/2007, 05:54 pm
I have sat on the floor of many airports here and abroad next to my charging iPod or phone.
"
Thats what I plan to do as well.
I doubt if KLM has power plugs for economy class travellers although biz class robably has this option now.
My option will be to sit on the floor and do some people watching while charging ;-)
Yes most laptops/dvd players wont need voltage conversion, just the adapter. Thanks all.