Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Electrical appiances/plugs&such (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/electrical-appiances-plugs-and-such-525182/)

yclarke123 Apr 28th, 2005 05:52 PM

Electrical appiances/plugs&such

I understand you need an adapter and a voltage transformer for US appliances in Greece. When we were in Paris last year we had a problem because the socket in the wall was round and recessed and our plugs were not round. Does anyone know what the situation is in Athens and what we need to bring?

BarryK Apr 28th, 2005 06:52 PM

Greece is similar to most of Europe using 2 round pins for 230 VAC 50 Hz. What kind of appliances are you talking about?

stanbr Apr 28th, 2005 09:17 PM

We carried an adaptor that worked in Greece. Even with this adaptor my wife's haridryer glowed red and overheated in about a minute and a half. If it is a hairdryer you are thinking about just buy a cheap one in Athens ( about $15). If you are thinking about charging your camera I would not advise it.

brotherleelove2004 Apr 28th, 2005 10:25 PM

A plug adapter isn't enough unless your appliances are of the dual-voltage variety. A transformer is also needed. There are also 2 different sizes of these round pin adapters, one small like our normal plugs (but round) and another larger version in a triangular casing with a 3rd pin. The smaller one will also fit in the larger one.

GSteed Apr 28th, 2005 10:49 PM

Travel shops carry a 'universal' assortment kit of electrical socket adapters. Each accessory is identified with the country it will accommodate. Ascertain that the adapter will take the USA plug. Warning! Adapters do not transform voltage/cycles. A transformer is necessary. Today many electrical powered appliances are 'dual voltage'. Check the small print on the appliance. Read the electrical power requirement statement. Small inexpensive transformers are available to convert European power from 220/240 volt to 110/120 volt. Check that the amperage capacity is sufficient for your needs.

BarryK Apr 29th, 2005 03:30 AM

Anything with a motor, unless designed for either 50 or 60 Hz, (such as a hairdryer) will not work well becuase the 50 Hz current causes the motor to spin more slowly. A transformer only adjusts the voltage, not the frequency.

Intrepid1 Apr 29th, 2005 03:57 AM

I'm still waiting for the original poster to respond so we know what sort of appliance s/he is actully talking about.

yclarke123 Apr 29th, 2005 05:08 AM

I need to plug in a battery charger. I have a voltage converter with the two round prongs, but it's the shape of the opening I am concerned about as the voltage converter is squarish in shape (about 1 1/2 inches) and in France we ran into round recessed openings (with two round holes for the plug).

brotherleelove2004 Apr 29th, 2005 06:16 AM

Then you need an assortment of adapters and a transformer from 220v. to 110v.

Michael Apr 29th, 2005 10:41 AM

Our converter comes with two round plugs, but that is misleading. French plugs are recessed, so that one needs to attach a plug extension to the converter that will reach the recessed outlet.

CRV Apr 29th, 2005 11:38 AM

I have bought a dual voltage charger for my digital camera batteries. I also have an adaptor for the plug. For my wife's hairdryer I bought a voltage converter (and also have the adaptor plug). To really complicate things, I have been told that the converter is fine for short periods of time, but if you are using an appliance that will be plugged in for several hours (such as a regular battery charger) you need a transformer. So, apparently there is a difference between a converter and a transformer. If my wife wants to take a couple of hours to dry her hair, I'm in trouble!

yclarke123 Apr 29th, 2005 01:08 PM

So, French sockets are recessed with a round opening. But does anyone know what the openings for the plugs looks like in Greece, is it round also and recessed?

BarryK Apr 29th, 2005 01:08 PM

CRV - be very careful with the haridryer. The fan doesn't spin as fast at 50 Hz AC. That's why these things melt down or just burn out. If it has more than one heat setting, keep it on low.

Regarding charging digital cameras, etc. check the charger that came with the camera. My Nikon, my laptop, and my Philips electric shaver all are rated for voltage from 110-240, and 50/60 Hz, so only an adapter is needed.