Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Eiffel Tower/Louvre on Fri. or Sat? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/eiffel-tower-louvre-on-fri-or-sat-228939/)

Cindy Jun 7th, 2002 03:00 AM

Eiffel Tower/Louvre on Fri. or Sat?

We can either see the Eiffel Tower and the Louvre on a Friday or a Saturday. Are the crowds worse on Saturday? Does it matter? What about Notre Dame?

elaine Jun 7th, 2002 04:22 AM

sorry, don't quite understand.<BR><BR>Do you have to choose among the Eiffel Tower and the Louvre and Notre Dame because you will have only one day, and it will be either a Friday or a Saturday? Or are you just trying to see all of them on a Friday or a Saturday and don't know which day is better? Or, you will have two days to see any or all of them, Friday AND Saturday?

juggy Jun 7th, 2002 04:25 AM

elaine: either way shouldn't she be able to see all of them in one day? even if it is a busy day?

Rollie Jun 7th, 2002 04:34 AM

I would do the Louvre 1st thing Friday or Saturday morning - be there when the doors open. It is a wonderful place to be, especially when the number of people is minimized.

alex Jun 7th, 2002 04:41 AM

Notre Dame has the shortest wait to enter, though the Towers can take time (I've read they are currently being renovated and not accessible, anyway). The crypt and Roman ruins, at the far end of the Parvis, are worth a visit if you have some time.<BR><BR>Other things being equal, I'd do the Louvre while my energy level was high. Get the Carte Musee to avoid the line to enter. The Eiffel Tower will be a wait, unless you arrive very early or late, but it takes little physical and no mental energy. Nice way to end the day.

Cindy Jun 7th, 2002 04:48 AM

Thanks, everyone! Sorry to not ask my question more clearly. What I'm wondering is whether the crowds are worse at the three places on Fridays or Saturdays. I have two days, and was thinking of seeing Notre Dame on Friday morning, and then on seeing the Eiffel Tower and the Louvre on Saturday (sounds like we need to see the Louvre early in the morning and the Eiffel Tower later), but was wondering if I should try and do the Louvre on Friday instead. Thanks again.

Howard Jun 7th, 2002 04:53 AM

The Louvre is definitely more crowded on weekends. No matter when you go, I strongly recommend buying a musuem pass, as it will save you a lot of waiting in line. There are lines of ticket buyers even if you go first thing in the morning. If you have a museum pass, you'll bypass the lines.<BR>Since you obviously can't go to both the Louvre and the Eiffel Tower first thing on the same morning, I suggest you save the Eiffel Tower for perhaps the evening, when the lines might be shorter than midday.

lisa Jun 7th, 2002 04:58 AM

I strongly suggest that you see the Louvre on a weekday. We went on Monday (I think) and didn't wait in line at all. We didn't have the carte musee (bought it there, though). Most of the visitors on a weekday will be school groups. On a Saturday, my guess is it will be much more crowded.

juggy Jun 7th, 2002 05:17 AM

Howard: is it a dumb question if I ask what the museum pass includes? and whats the cost and where to get it?<BR><BR> Can i prebuy tower tickets?<BR><BR>Ta

elaine Jun 7th, 2002 05:28 AM

if you go to www.intermusees.com you will find information on the museum pass and a list of places that accept it.<BR><BR>No pre-purchase of Eiffel Tower tickets as far as I know.

Howard Jun 7th, 2002 07:28 AM

The museum pass covers a host of sites (including the Louvre, Musee d'Orsay, Ste. Chapelle, Arc de Triomphe, Versailles and a lot others). Check out the site that Elaine recommends for more info.<BR>The cost: 15 euro for one day, 30 for three consecutive days and 45 for five consecutive days. One good thing is that you can purchase the pass anytime, as it doesn't take effect until the first day you use it. Definitely purchase it before you go to the Louvre. Even if you're only going to the Louvre, it's worth the extra fee just to bypass the lines.

Howard Jun 7th, 2002 07:31 AM

PS: You can purchase the pass at any one of the participating sites. (You don't have to actually buy a ticket for that particular site. You can just walk up and buy a pass for later use). They are also available at major metro stations, tabacs and at some hotels. Check with your concierge.

clairobscur Jun 7th, 2002 08:51 AM

There will be a larger crowd at the Louvre during the weekend. So I would visit it on Saturday.<BR><BR>Concerning the Louvre, note also that most galleries are closed a couple of days/week. Seeing the Mona Lisa won't be an issue, but if you're interested in something more specific (say the mesopotamia gallery, the greek poteries, the Napoleon's appartments,...), you should check on which days these galleries will be open.

ellen Jun 7th, 2002 10:39 AM

There are long lines for the Eiffel Tower on the weekends. Friday would probably be better. I also highly recommend the Museum Pass.