Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Efficient way to search for A/C hotels in Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2004, 11:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to find an efficient way to locate air-conditioned Paris hotels. There are no shortage of sites to find lists of hundreds of Paris hotels, but it seems the only way to find out if they have A/C is to write each one individually and hope they respond truthfully. Anyone have other methods?

I am budget-oriented, but posts here have almost convinced me to consider splurging if I can get both a good location and A/C.
I know the Ibis hotels were mentioned, and some of these do appear to be air-conditioned (and I would be perfectly happy with this quality of hotel).

Is it safe to assume that Novotel and Sofotel hotels would be air conditioned?

(For those who haven't seen my previous threads, my son and I will be in Paris July 11-18.)
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 12:14 AM
Original Poster

Well, to answer my own question, I'm guessing it's variable with Novotels at least - because on the accor.com site some Novotels list air conditioning as a room amenity, and others do not.

Old Feb 16th, 2004, 12:26 AM
Original Poster

Nope - going by the hotel amenity list is not reliable either. The Novotel Les Halles did not list air conditioning as an amenity, but when I asked in an email, I got this response:

YES, ALL ROOMS & PUBLIC SPACES ARE AIR-CONDITIONNED
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 04:02 AM

I would only caution that in many instances in Europe, "air conditioning" does not mean "air cooling." There are lots of cases I know, including one of my own, in which the customer has been deceived into thinking that a hotel has real A/C, when all they have is some type of interior air circulation unit. Also some hotels will not clarify whether only the common areas are truly cooled, but not the rooms.

One sure-fire method for finding out about a limited number of hotels is to get the Michelin red guide for France. If the symbol for A/C is included in the guide, the hotel has genuine A/C. Trouble is, the Michelin guide doesn't cover very many hotels---but those it covers are generally among the best at all price levels. Good luck.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 04:21 AM
rex

Here's another not-so-perfect method: try www.venere.com

Unfortuately, you can no longer perform a "criteria search", but they too, use a symbol (looks like a snowflake for AC on each of the 402 properties for Paris they cover. Hardly a comprehensive list, but not bad.

And as one alternative, consider a try on the webscapades.com website. Even fewer properties (can't find any one place that indicates how many) - - but they have toll-free live (US) operator service that I found very helpful in securing a room a couple of years ago.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 04:31 AM

I like this site, particularly because it does let you easily find a hotel with AC. You can search by rate, name or arrondissement (you can also check availability) and when the list comes up there is a column for AC with a prominent green checkmark for those that have it. I must say, though, that it does not include some of my favorites, like the Hotel Monge in the 5th and the Muguet in the 7th. And, of course, there is no way of knowing how efficient their AC is or if it includes all rooms/areas in the hotel, but it at least gives you a starting point for inquiries. Happy hunting!

http://www.cybevasion.com/hotels/france/paris.html
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 04:50 AM

Sofitels in Paris are all air conditioned, I believe, but during the high season they are pretty expensive (about $300 a night and up). Ibis are *usually* NOT air conditioned. With Novotels, you need to ask. Libertels (the Paris hotels in the Mercure line of Accor group) also are mixed with some having AC and others not.

If you let us know your budget and preferred area (Latin Quarter, Marais, etc.), Fodorites here would be happy to suggest Paris hotels that do have "real" AC. That may turn out to be your most efficient way to search
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 07:28 AM

Several web sites, including some of the discounters, let you search by "amenities," including air-conditioning. That might be one option.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

BTilke, right now we have this place booked at a special rate including breakfast of 58 Euros per night, via HRS.com:
http://www.hotel-sevres-montparnasse.com/

The reviews seem fine - just as I said, there is no A/C so far as I can tell. This area would be fine, as well as one more centrally located. I would like to stay away from red light districts.

Price range? That's a tough question, because I have always been fine so far in Europe going for really lowball prices - but I'm just afraid to do that if a heatwave is possible. So - let's say - what twin rooms in reasonable areas are available for 80 Euros or less?

Now, I have also read about MisterBed in Bagnolet, right on the outskirts of Paris, for 56 Euros per night, and it does have air conditioning:
http://www.lsfhotels.com/lsf/lsfinst...-bagnolet.html

However, I don't think the neighborhood is very attractive (but let me know if I'm wrong). I'm traveling with my son, and of course my husband, who will be staying home, is very concerned that we stay in a safe neighborhood.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 01:50 PM

Hotel Bonaparte is recommended by a few people here. It is in the 6th near St. Sulpice. I've never stayed there but I'm going in early July and trying it out.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Hotel Bonaparte does sound like a good place. 120 Euros from what Ira said.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 02:01 PM

They don't have a website or e-mail. I don't have their fax number with me but I think you can find it by doing a search here for bonaparte.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 03:00 PM

I was just going to suggest looking at the info on web sites which lists whether a hotel has AC. I guess you found some mistakes, and of course there will be some, but that's better than writing hotels individually. I would find ones with AC and then doublecheck but I wouldn't write all hotels to find out if they have AC -- I'd bet willing to bet that maybe 90 pct of the time if they don't say they have it, they don't.

The problem is really your price range. It's not that hard nowadays to find hotels with AC in central Paris -- all 4* hotels have it, and I'd guess maybe 50 pct or more of 3* hotels now have it (at least in central Paris). Hardly any 2* hotels have it, but the ones that do tend to be the more modern chain hotels.

The Paris Tourist Office web site lists all officially registered hotels, gives their star ratings, contact info and amenities. I'm not sure the Michelin guide would be more accurate than web sites as their info could be outdated, and I don't know if they check that kind of thing out or depend on the hotel to tell them. Anyway, their info is free online, at least used to be, but I don't know if you can search by that feature.

Don't go to Mr. Bed in Bagnolet, really (yuck). YOur budget is pretty low for a twin room with AC in Paris, though. I don't think even the Ibises with AC are that cheap. I think the Hotel Residence Monge in the 5th is one of the lowest rates for a decent hotel in a central area with AC. I think you can find some good budget hotels on www.parishotels.com or www.france-hotel-guide.com.

I'm having a little trouble with what you are looking for -- Novotels and Sofitels are not cheap budget hotels (espec Sofitels) but you appear to want a twin room for 80 euro. You can get discounts in July, that's the good news -- search for discounts on www.123france.com or www.pariserve.tm.fr or www.parishotels.com

The Aviatic in Montparnasse has AC and shouldn't be more than a Novotel, and has lower rates in summer, for example. Lots of hotels, do, actually, about 10-20 pct off. The problem is a lot of those discounts don't start until after Bastille Day (7/14) but you should get a couple days discount.

For example, if you go to www.123france.com and click on the "promotions" section and ask for twin rooms, and fill in your dates, you'll get a list of all their hotels with discounts in your time period. I just checked, and they show the 3* Hotel Queen Mary (pretty nice from what I've heard, near the Madeleine on the Right Bank and it does have AC) and they have discounts all of July for 30 pct off, making their twin rooms only 109 euro. That would be a pretty good deal, I think.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 03:03 PM

oh, I forgot to say that I think I've noticed errors in the Paris TO website on amenities, specifically AC, so I would double-check anything on there. But, it is a good resource for a lot of info on hotels.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 04:15 PM

Hi ,
We stayed at the Muguet last summer. They have air conditioning. It does not blast like ours, but it was great. We stayed there because of AC and we were so glad we made that choice. I think it about 110 euros and it is in the 7th A. A great area and hotel.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 04:26 PM

As Christina mentioned, the Aviatic Hotel in Montparnasse has REAL A/C - I've stayed there twice, once in a hot spell. The A/C was wonderful. It's a really nice hotel in a great location, but would definitely be more than 80 euros. I think they do have specials in the summer months, though. They also have a great breakfast buffet, and sometimes that's included (especially if you are staying a week or more, and ask for it).
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 10:05 PM
Original Poster

I asked about Sofitel and Novotel, even though they are out of range of what I want to spend, in case I do a Priceline bid for a 4* hotel. If I do, I can have a reasonable (but not 100%) idea of which hotels I might get, and a Sofitel or Le Meridien or Novotel is very likely in some zones.

I have also been going through various sites and finding some hotels that claim to have A/C and have twin rooms for 90 Euros or less.

Mostly what I am afraid of is that I will 1) book a hotel with A/C and have bearable weather, or 2) the hotel I book will have misrepresented its A/C status. In each case, I would be rather upset at the loss of money for no good reason, but in the second case I would also be suffering the discomfort of no A/C.

Anyway, with five months left, I think I have a bit of time to think about it more (although I realize the most popular places do book up). Psychologically I might get used to spending as much money as needed.

I appreciate everyone's posts, but I have to thank Christina in particular for numerous helpful posts on several of my threads!

In respect to Mr. Bed, is the expression of dismay due to the location, or due to the hotel? I can put up with a very austere hotel, but not with a dismal location.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 10:20 PM
Original Poster

I also sent an email to the author of the Jack-Travel site, and he sent me a list of hotels with A/C. It's a starting point, and I am going to go through that.
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 09:01 AM

Hotel IBIS Porte Doree has A/C (friends stayed there), was recently completely remodeled, and is around 60 or 65 euros a night. It is on the edge of Paris in the 12th. There are a few restaurants in the area as well as some brasseries and cafes. It is also very close to the Bois de Vincenne. It is a residential neighborhood with very little in the way of tourist attractions or tourists. It is right next to the metro but you have immediate access to only one line so you are basically assured of a change when you want to go sightseeing. More central locations with AC will be more in the 100 - 120 euro range at least.

Mr Bed in the burbs would be pretty awful. I would do the IBIS in Paris over that anyday.

Of course a Sofitel would be MUCH nicer and better located. Good luck with the bidding!
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Yes, that was the range I was finding for central A/C hotels. I have to be very sure it's worth it before I double my accommodation budget. I think I will reserve Ibis Porte Doree as a backup and make my final decision in the first week of July.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -