Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Effects of NATO action in other parts of Europe

May 9th, 1999, 02:15 PM
della davis

Do recent travelers to Italy have any comments on the effects on Italy of the NATO war in KOSOVO. Is there a greater military presence, are there anti-American sentiments, is there more tension?

May 10th, 1999, 07:52 AM
Robin

I was in Italy (4/21 thru 5/3). Did see some anti-NATO graffitti in Rome, however I did not feel any anti-American sentiments from the people. This was my second trip to Italy and everyone was as warm & friendly as I remember from my first visit in Oct. '97.

May 10th, 1999, 08:27 AM
Jan

Has anyone else been there recently? We are going in Sept. and I am also concerned about anit-American sentiments. We have until July to cancel our trip and I am prepared to do so if it is unsafe. Thanks.

May 10th, 1999, 03:05 PM
gregoire

Della,
I haven't been there recently, but as a french person I would mainly advice humility. Just because america is far wealthier than any european countries, we're kind of jalous, and criticize a lot your actions (it's easy to talk, harder to act...). But as soon as they will be in front of you, they will be just like normal people if you are humble, and try to speak a couple of their words. Don't take everything for granted, nor demand because you pay, but be nice with locals, and they will be with you. Avoid the subject, and if asked to comment, avoid aggressivity, that'll be the best way to prove people that after all, americans can be quite good.

May 11th, 1999, 08:04 AM
Jeff

Just returned from Venice-Florence-Rome (April 22-May 2). In all locations, saw no effects of the NATO action whatsoever - certainly no anti-American sentiments as everyone was most gracious and kind.