Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Eep! Just booked tickets to visit London and Paris alone with a 2 year old!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2018, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband will not be able to travel in October as planned but I am determined to go to Europe anyway and just booked 2 tickets for me and my two year old! We will land in London and depart in Paris. Does anyone have any itinerary/travel/safety tips for our 8 day mommy-daughter adventure? I've never been to London but enjoy the royal stuff. I would like to visit the Abbey and perhaps see the Crown jewels. I've been to Paris before and have seen the Eiffel Tower, Louvre and Musee d'Orsay but wouldn't mind seeing the highlights again. I'd love to spend a day in Versailles if it wouldn't be too taxing with a toddler. The 8 days are our non-flying days although it does include the day we go from London to Paris.

How many days in London and Paris? Should we fly or take the Eurostar? I'm considering packing everything we need in carry-on, bringing a stroller and renting an airbnb/apt so I can cook and do laundry with ease.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 7th, 2018, 06:29 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
just time for a quick comment - more later. But how fun!

>>Should we fly or take the Eurostar?<<

Definitely take the Eurostar from London to Paris. Flying is a horrible schlepp plus the two airports are pretty far out of the city centers.
Old Jul 7th, 2018, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

Good to know, janisj, thank you! Are both cities fairly easy to tour with a toddler in tow? A bit scared shitless about the trek!
Old Jul 7th, 2018, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

I really don't want to lug a carseat around London and Paris if I don't have to. How lax are the carseat rules in Paris and London? I'd like to stay in a central location both cities. Any suggestions?
Old Jul 7th, 2018, 07:21 PM

One caution about renting an apartment in Paris: Many/most short term rentals are illegal. When looking at any rental site (Air BnB, VBRO, etc), look for a registration number. If there is a registration number, it is a legal rental, if no number, it is not legal. The city of Paris has really cracked down on illegal rentals.
Old Jul 7th, 2018, 07:48 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the heads up, Kathie!
Old Jul 7th, 2018, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by CaliforniaMama
I really don't want to lug a carseat around London and Paris if I don't have to. How lax are the carseat rules in Paris and London? I'd like to stay in a central location both cities. Any suggestions?

You mean you see yourself taking taxis mostly?
Old Jul 8th, 2018, 03:26 AM

Hi California Mama, what an exciting trip! Last month my daughter and I were in both London and Paris with my two year old granddaughter so I think I can help.

First off, the train is the way to go. In St Pancras Station look for the little shop (inside the security zone) that sells the virtual reality kit that lets your toddler use your cell phone (wi-fi available on the Eurostar so no data needed) to "see" what's under the water, as you go through the chunnel. Izzy loved it. Also, you don't have to book a seat for the two year old, and if you're lucky you will get an empty seat next to you.

in London, be sure to go to the Diana Memorial playground. It's really magical and Izzy had so much fun. That and an ice cream break were the perfect diversion for her.

Car seat is not only not required but probably won't work properly in taxis in either London or Paris. You will just need to hold your child on your lap or be sure to buckle her in in the backseat. Not a problem.

I think spending more of your time in Paris would be more relaxing. There are tons of playgrounds and your child will love interacting with other kids. Also, there are 52 merry-go-rounds in Paris! You'll find that eating out with a toddler is quite easy in Paris.
Old Jul 8th, 2018, 05:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tons of parks in London. With a small child a boat trip on the Regents Canal might be worth trying.

The London Waterbus Company

Jason's Trip
Old Jul 8th, 2018, 06:40 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Umbrella Stroller. No car seat needed. Try a practice run with all your gear around your neighborhood. I see so many overpack with toddlers. I think it is great your are doing this but would try and get an apartment for laundry and having a frig and microwave at least. My one friend took clothing that her toddler was outgrowing and left an outfit behind everyday. Kid came home with the clothes on her back.
Anyhow, bravo to you!!
Old Jul 8th, 2018, 07:33 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
An umbrella stroller - and take buses. In both cities they are very accessible for strollers and much easier than the Tube or Metro. The occasional taxi trip will be fine but no need to over spend. In October in both cities the weather may be nice or may be awful (or both). So if it is nice definitely visit the many park. The Diana Memorial playground would be a must if it isn't raining sideways

The London transport museum in Covent Garden would be great -- climbing all over static buses and tube cars and other fun stuff. And afterwards you can watch the buskers in Covent Garden. There are usually a few kid-centric performers with balloons or other fun stuff.

The Natural History Museum has dinosaurs and bugs and other exciting bits -- but can also be very crowded.

There is a city Farm in East London which might be fun - https://www.mudchute.org

Paris is great too of course, but if the weather is nasty the parks won't be the big draw.
Old Jul 8th, 2018, 08:08 AM

Yes to an umbrella stroller - but don't buy a cheap one. Spring for a more expensive sturdy umbrella stroller with swivel wheels, higher handles, and maybe a pocket or attached bag to store a few things in back. The cheap umbrella strollers are a waste of time & money - the wheels get stuck in weird positions, the handles are low, so your back is hunched over when you are pushing, and they easily tip if you try to hang anything on the back. Trust me - been there!
Old Jul 8th, 2018, 09:27 AM

Yes take Eurostar trains London-Paris for sure - as others say much easier than flying and faster - city center to city center. But, book as early as possible and directly from Eurostar at www.eurostar.com to snatch discounted tickets much cheaper than walk-up fares. You should do that as soon as you decide on date and see what's up. For lots of info on Eurostar and trains in general check www.seat61.com - BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com. First class may not be much more than standard (2nd) class so check those discounted fares too - much roomier -especially for kid to move around.
Old Jul 8th, 2018, 02:07 PM

https://www.eurostar.com/us-en/deals/2for1

With you Eurostar ticket to Paris within 5 days you can take advantage of these 2 for 1 deals at a few Paris museums - most notably Gare d'Orsay - probably most popular Paris art museum next to Louvre (which physically it almost is!)
Old Jul 8th, 2018, 05:43 PM

I am so excited for you! I would travel as lightly as possible: one carry on, a medium size purse or a small backpack, an ergo carrier, a small stroller like POCKIT (that you can bring on the plane). I would forget about the car seat.

I was in Paris recently with my 5 and 2 years old. Maybe you can get some ideas from my trip report:

Quick trip to Paris and Lake Annecy with kids
Old Jul 9th, 2018, 01:56 AM

Another option in London

https://www.coramsfields.org
Old Jul 9th, 2018, 02:40 AM

I dont think there is any advantage for this poster getting two for one deals as no museum I know of charges for two year olds..lol

Good umbrella stroller..

I am against apartment renting ( and Ive done it several times in paris ) you only have 4 nights in each city.. so the hassle of arranging for key pick up or meeting at a specific time to get into the apartment seem like a hassle to me.. I hated not being able to drop off bags early etc.. A hotel with a mini fridge is all you really need as you can stock it with yogurts ,, fruits and juice and milk drinks for child.. you dont need to be cooking ( microwaving) snacks for a 2 yr old.. they can eat a sandwich etc..

Another option .. and one that will please your need to have a mini kitchenette.. but will also offer a desk staff and luggage storage is renting an Aparthotel.. look at Citidinnes.. best of both worlds.

you do not need laundry for 8 days.. wash some stuff in sink if need be.. paris laundry machines in apartments generally are a huge annoyance.. 3-4 hour cycles and only a small load at a time..

Book a central location so you can walk most places.. and use buses over metro.. which is what many local moms prefer.. no stairs to deal with.. and there is a central area inn bus for strollers.
Old Jul 10th, 2018, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for the helpful advice!