Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

eekkkk...Mama Mia...I just had a bad thought!

Jul 10th, 2003, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

hi everyone,

I didn't even think to ask this. I was reading someone elses post about a theatre experience (not mama mia) and had a bad thought!

I mama mia a live production...in other words is the sound, singing and music live or is it pre-taped like in some long running theatre shows.

I know in the states at some of tourist spots and nightly entertainment...to save time and glitches...some producers will have the sound of the show totally canned.

Has anyone been to mama mia and could tell if they had an orchestra and was the show live?

Jul 10th, 2003, 04:06 PM

If you'll Take A Chance On Me, I have an answer. Really, I Do. I Do. I Do. I sat in the front row in L.A., and went Head Over Heels for the live presentation. So no need to throw out an S.O.S., you'll love it, although it will cost you Money, Money, Money. No need to Lay All Your Love On Me for replying, but I didn't want this play question to be your Waterloo So Long.
Jul 10th, 2003, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

Maitatom,

that was hilarious....are you an abba fan too....I can't wait to see this, however I am concerned...

seriously though...that was LA has anyone been to the London production.....

thanks
Jul 10th, 2003, 04:18 PM

Erin, yes I am an ABBA fan (please don't tell anyone, though). I just read a review about the London show, and they raved about the voices of the performers. My wife had a friend who went to London twice to see the show (from L.A., quite a trek) and can't believe he'd do that id it was canned. I would be amazed if anything was canned because London is such a great theater city. Hopefully you will get a person who saw it there to allay your fears. And that's The Name of the Game.
Jul 10th, 2003, 04:26 PM
Intrepid

Believe me, when they roll into "Dancing Queen" you'll KNOW it isn't in any way "canned" and I doubt you'll be able to stay in your seat and out of the aisles moving to the music once you've seen it. Relax, it's all for real!

Jul 10th, 2003, 04:27 PM

I've seen it on Broadway and it was entirely "live".
Jul 10th, 2003, 04:46 PM

I saw it in St Louis and Indianapolis. The set up was the same in both venues. Though it wasn't completely canned neither was it exactly live either.

The orchestra pit looked more like a recording studio than an orchestra. There were only 5 or 6 people in the pit including the conductor. One was a drummer, one was a guitarist and the others were more technicians. The main voices were live, but I think some back-up singing (like some of the music) was canned.

As an interesting side note, I thought the orchestra pit was unusual as there was heavy, elastic cargo netting over the entire pit. I wonder if it was for safety for the performers since they did do a lot of dancing in some low lighting.

I'm curious too to see if the London production was more "live" than what I've seen.
Jul 10th, 2003, 04:54 PM

Have been to London and NYC productions...both were live.
It is fantastic !!
Maitaitom-you must have a lot of time on your hands and/or be a quick thinker. Ha-ha.
Another Abba fan here.
Jul 10th, 2003, 05:03 PM

Having been seated in the front row for the London performance last November, I can attest that the songs were done live. Yes, the band is small - about 7 pieces in London, and there was not a net over the orchestra pit, but a shield of plexiglass, but I believe that is to protect the band from the dry ice fumes.
Jul 10th, 2003, 05:05 PM

I saw it in London and in Pgh.; London was much better, but neither was "canned", to my knowledge. It's a wonderful show!
Jul 10th, 2003, 05:31 PM

Saw the show in London (1) & Las Vegas(2). The shows were terrific. The outfits in London were better & the comedy was a little more British. The LV show had more US slang terms and was a little funnier imo. But obvioulsy the ambience is better in a foreign country.
Jul 10th, 2003, 05:43 PM

Saw it in London twice and NO, nothing was canned. But the performers are so good you'd think it could be--not a misstep anywhere!

You'll run out and buy the soundtrack after you see the show!

Have a great time!
Jul 10th, 2003, 10:10 PM
Original Poster

You guys are absolutely the best....I am so relieved. I have pitched this show to my traveling companion and we were both so excited when I had that awful thought. I am now back to my "I now can't wait" ...

I am so thankful for you guys....(picture a huge sigh of relief!)

thanks so much to all for getting me past this crisis!
erinb