Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Edinburgh: which restaurant for our wedding anniversary ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28th, 2006, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Edinburgh in 2 weeks for our 15th wedding anniversary. Would like to pick a romantic restaurant in the historic center, castle view or something like that. Any suggestions ?
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 08:46 AM

The two in the city centre which would obviously meet your requirements are the Witchery Restaurant on Castlehill. www.thewitchery.com and the other is the Tower Restaurant Chambers Street. www.tower-restaurant.com
Both of these are owned by the same person - the first has the charm of the Old Town / castle whilst the other is modern but with excellent views of Edinburgh Castle. Both settings and the food is good but the reviews can be mixed.
If you are wish excellent food then think about the Restaurant Martin Wishart on the Shore. www.martin-wishart.co.uk
This is located in Leith well outwith the City Centre but be sure to book as it has now been voted the best restaurant in Edinburgh.
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the good hints !!
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 10:53 AM

Olorosa has great castle views too. I had a really bowff meal there a couple of years ago, but it gets good reviews.
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 03:38 AM

I agree The Witchery is the obvious choice for a historic atmosphere, in the city centre. The food is quite good, although not the very best. Expensive.

The Tower does have good views and is fairly central. Although it will of course be dark when you are here, the castle is lit up at night. Fairly expensive.

I'm also not at all impressed with Oloroso. After once mistaking the time I was to meet friends & as a result spending an hour opposite the concierge's desk at the Balmoral Hotel, I concluded it just gets seen as a top place as that's where the concierges send everyone - no doubt in return for a kickback. It's also ferociously expensive, for quite dull food, and the service is poor.

Martin Wishart is definitely the best in town. It is one of only 2 Michelin one-starred restaurants in Edinburgh & is tipped for a 2nd star this time. (The other is Number One in the Balmoral which IMO doesn't compare food-wise, & doesn't have much atmosphere.) If you can get in at only 2 weeks' notice, I'd highly recommend you go there and have the 6 course surprise tasting menu (which the man himself will cook) with the optional 'menu' of a different wine for each course - food £60pp, wine £4-pp.

If you want somewhere a bit less (although still fairly) expensive, I'd recommend the Waterfront, also in Leith - book a table in the conservatory.
Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 07:21 PM

We dined at the Witchery in February. The atmosphere was very cool--the food good, not great.
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 03:52 AM

Lori, Fabio has already been & gone.

Fabio, I hadn't realised this posting was yours too ! Where did you choose for your anniversary ?
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 10:48 AM

We were also in Edinburgh probably the same time as Fabio. We had booked Martin Wisheart's as long ago as the first weekend in September.
It was very good but I've been to other places which were more memorable. I find that if I can remember what I had to eat some time later than it counts as memorable. The place that sticks in my mind most recently was Roy Yamaguchi's ( admittedly not in Edinburgh ) which I think was better.
I'm now going to duck under the desk to avoid the criticism!
Old Nov 25th, 2006, 01:01 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all !!

Caroline, we picked The Witchery, near the Castle.

Although we are of the same hometown our story started in Sctland in 1986, well right 20 years ago so we always have a special feeling being in Scotland after so many years.
Our short stay was memorable !
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 03:46 AM

Fabio, I hope you had a lovely time. The Witchery is certainly great for atmosphere.

Frances, did you have the 6 course surprise tasting menu at Martin Wishart ? I'd be surprised if anyone didn't find that memorable.