Edinburgh/Scotland in April

May 5th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Original Poster

Edinburgh/Scotland in April

Hello, fellow travelers.

I have been lurking here for a while and decided to post a couple of questions. I am headed to Scotland in April of next year. So far away, but time will pass quickly.

Would someone be kind enough to tell me what Scotland is like in April? Weather, crowds, outdoor vs. indoor, etc.

Also, since it will be past the vernal equinox, how long are the days in, say, mid-April?

Any input would greatly appreciated.
May 5th, 2009, 09:47 PM

April weather is very "varied". You could get absolutely anything except for a blazing heatwave. Just plan on layers and have something waterproof. Not sure what you mean by "outdoor vs indoor" - the country doesn't close up, so if you want to do outdoor stuff, just have the appropriate clothing.

Daylight will vary depending what part of the month. Days really start to lengthen in April. There is almost 2 hours more daylight at the end of the month. But basically sunrise will be between 4:30 and 5 AM and sunset between 7 and 8 PM
May 6th, 2009, 07:08 AM

What parts of Scotland will you be visiting? You can look here for climate data: www.weatherbase.com.

Definitely layers with a thin rainproof, windproof outer layer. The wind can be very cutting. And maybe some silk long underwear.
May 6th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the kind responses

We will be spending most of our time in Edinburgh, but also a two-day excursion into the Highlands.

As for outdoor vs. indoor, I did not relay that clearly enough (my apologies), I just meant if thing shifted to a more indoor or outdoor approach as far as activities.

Again, thank you for the responses.

Search this Thread