Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   EDINBURGH, SCOTLAND (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/edinburgh-scotland-38244/)

Tom Feb 9th, 1999 08:13 PM

EDINBURGH, SCOTLAND

Does anyone have any suggestions for accomodations in Edinburgh? I'm going to a wedding there this Fall. Thanks <BR>

Maira Feb 10th, 1999 12:21 AM

For a convenient, clean and reasonable location I would suggest The Station House located three blocks away from the Royal Mile. The address is 9-13 Market Street, Edinburgh, phone # 02 398 744 4335. There is a train station across the street called WAVERLEY STATION. There are two exits out of the station; to Princes Street and to MARKET STREET. Exit to Market St. make a right, the hotel is located at 9-13 Market Street. If you are driving, there is a CAR PARK down the street from the hotel (50%off if you stay at The Station House). <BR> <BR>

Tony Hughes Feb 10th, 1999 04:19 AM

Tom, my fav is the Royal British, not far from Maira's choice. try (no www required): hotelinfoplus.com/edinburgh-scot/royalbritish.htm <BR> <BR>Unfortunately as I live in Edinburgh I dont stay in many of its hotels

Tony Hughes Feb 10th, 1999 04:19 AM

Tom, my fav is the Royal British, not far from Maira's choice. try (no www required): hotelinfoplus.com/edinburgh-scot/royalbritish.htm <BR> <BR>Unfortunately as I live in Edinburgh I dont stay in many of its hotels

Nigel Doran Feb 10th, 1999 05:46 AM

I would try the Malmaison in the Leith area of the city. It is divine. It has a great setting, great bistro, great interior design and great staff. All rooms are individually appointed with T Vs, radio and C D players, as well as Isdn sockets {I think}. Prices are around the £85- £100 range, including tax. Have a look at its website: www.malmaison.co.uk for further information. There are also branches in Glasgow, Manchester and Newcastle. It might be cheaper at the weekend too.

Bob Feb 10th, 1999 06:36 AM

The Howard Hotel is small, classy and well located. It is not cheap. If you are looking for that type of hotel, email me. We stayed there a few years ago.

Bob Feb 10th, 1999 06:36 AM

The Howard Hotel is small, classy and well located. It is not cheap. If you are looking for that type of hotel, email me. We stayed there a few years ago.

Tom Feb 12th, 1999 07:55 PM

Thanks for all the great suggestions. Does anyone have any B&B accomodations they like? <BR> Tom <BR>

Tony Hughes Feb 13th, 1999 09:59 AM

Tom, I recently booked in some Americans at a B&B in Edinburgh after they asked me about it on this very page. If you care to email me then i can provide details. I went to look at the place for them first and it was fine and reasonably priced.

Dick Hardy Feb 13th, 1999 10:03 AM

A few years ago, we stayed at the Sibbet House and had a good time. Nice people (he might even play the pipes for you) and nice house. Long enough so it might not still be operating, but worth a try. Dick

Joanna Feb 13th, 1999 05:34 PM

We stayed in Edinburgh about 3 years ago at a wonderful, reasonable B&B, The Teviotdale House, 53 Grange Loan, Edinburgh - phone # 031-667-4376. It was reasonably priced and wonderful. It is listed in several guide books and we were not disappointed. The room was really nice, with feather beds. And the breakfast was unbelievable - what a selection- My husband had the "Duke of Edinburgh" breakfast and it was one of the highlights of our vacation. You are about ten mins from the center of town and a bus runs right alongside if you don't want to drive. You will love it.

Jeff Mar 13th, 1999 07:15 AM

Tom, Please consider Elmview B&B in Edinburgh. It is a tremendous bargain and a beautiful place. It is convenient to all of the sights and the owners have added several personal touches that makes this place special. The rooms are very large and the bathrooms are as well. Believe me, it is a deluxe accommodation and you can't go wrong with the price. If you'd like more information on the elmview e-mail me or visit their website. Type Elmview B&B on one of the browsers and you should be able to access it. I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Edinburgh and I've tried several places.