Edinburgh - Places of interest

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2004, 01:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am booking a long weekend in August for my boss and his family (Canadian) in Edinburgh. Tickets for the Tattoo are sold out. Any recommendations for places of interest after the castle and Holyrood House? Any coach trips that would be appropriate? Also places for the two 20 and 22 year old sons to go in the evening?
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 02:00 AM

Here are a few ideas:

The National Museum of Scotland on Chambers Street is free and has some fascinating collections.

They could combine a visit to Holyrood House with a visit to Dynamic Earth, and a walk round Arthur's seat if the weather's nice.

Scottish Whisky Heritage Centre on the High Street.

Trip down to Leith docks to see the Royal Yacht and have a drink and a bite at one of the great pubs or restaurants down there, like the Shore or Fishers.

Visit the Scottish National Gallery on the Mound and the Scottish Portrait Gallery on Queen Street.

Climb up Carlton Hill, if only for the photo opportunities!

If the Festival's still on, hang around and watch the street performers on the High Street or at the Pleasance.

Visit Mary Kings Close on the High Street, a narrow old medieval street that was closed off and built over a couple of centuries ago (not during the plague as some urban myths claim, however!).

20/22 year-olds would probably enjoy going for a drink around George IV Bridge, the Grassmarket or Cowgate areas, as these are where Edinburgh's student nightlife is focussed. If they want to go clubbing, the best thing is to get hold of a copy of the List, which has all the main events listings for the week.
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 03:20 AM

I got my tattoo tickets yesterday as there are some cancellations. Contact them and check it out here http://www.edinburgh-tattoo.co.uk/tickets/index.html give a ring and check it out.
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 03:24 AM

I love to visit The Georgian House on Charlotte Square.
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 04:42 AM

You might want to try http://www.explore-edinburgh.com/
for some links to some of the attractions in Edinburgh.
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 04:54 AM

Botanical Gardens in Edinburgh are wonderful.
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 06:19 AM
z

Rachel, we are thinking about visiting Botanical Gardens. What was so wonderful about this place? Did you take a taxi, a bus or did you walk there from your hotel? Are there many photo opportunities?
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 11:45 AM

Your boss is going to Edinburgh in August and wants to know what to do in the evening???

Does he KNOW the Festival is on?

As to what to do?:-

Edinburgh is tourist city so the choice is very widespread. Apart from places recommended before,

Edinburgh itself is a mixture of a wonderful late mediaeval city with a planned Georgian New Town. The Castle is a must, but a brisk hike up Arthur's seat (a hill in the centre of the town above Holyrood Palace) will give you magnificent views out over the whole of east central Scotland. The approx. 1/2 mile hike provides a commanding view of the city, castle, sea, and surrounding countryside.

The Royal Yacht Britannia is berthed at Leith, Edinburgh's port, and can be visited by the public, and the new Museum of Scotland in the centre of the City is pretty good, for the architecture as well as the exhibits.

It's also a great shopping city.

Mary Kings Close is a street which, in the middle ages, was on ground level but when the great plague came to visit Scotland (and Edinburgh in particular) it hit the place hard. The worst section of the city was right in the heart of the 'Old Town', where the present City Chambers are nowadays. This street was known as Mary King?s Close (after an advocate?s daughter so the story goes) and the local authorities, the kind beings that they are, decided to seal both entrances of the street up with everyone still inside. This street was rediscovered many years later and now you can take a tour down there. WARNING - they tell you that because of the many people sealed alive down there that there are ghosts aplenty. There's a brand new visitor centre this year

The two best places in Edinburgh for folk music are 2 pubs (surprise!) One is the Tron and the other is Sandy Bell's. Sandy Bell's also used to produce a news-sheet "Sandy Bell's Broadsheet" and I think they still do, which lists all the folky stuff going on all over Scotland.
Another pub which houses traditional/folk music. It's the Ensign Ewart which is situated near the entrance to the Castle - can't miss it.

Another possibility is to take your car up to the northwestern suburbs. In Davidson's Mains there is a baronial (i.e., circa 1895 but looking very medieval) house called Lauriston Castle. The tours are great, as this "castle" has secret passageways, a library bookshelf that hides a secret door, etc. From Davidson's Mains it is a very short (7-8 minutes)drive to Cramond, which has a yachtsman's harbor, the mouth of the River Almond, a medieval church (Cramond Kirk) and the remains (in the churchyard!) of Rome's northernmost garrison fort.

A list of other things to see includes
The New Town-planned grid Georgian -makes Bath pale by comparison
The Royal Mile -Mediaeval route between the Castle and Holyrood palace
The Castle
Valvona and Crolla -best deli in the UK
Greyfriars Bobby - statue of dog who sat at his master?s grave for decades
The Meadows - huge park in the town centre
Dean Village - working men?s planned village
The Scott Monument -Gothic Sky rocket memorial to Queen Victoria?s favourite Scottish author
Calton Hill -Observatory
Arthur's Seat -see above
Hollyrood- Palace and Park - Queen?s Scottish town house and big garden
The New parliament - this trip can be arranged. There is a visitor's gallery at the Scottish parliament and you can get tickets from (would you believe) the ticket office! There is no dress code.

The Museum of Childhood - on the Royal Mile
Cafe Vittoria - neighbourhood Tally restaurant. Very down to earth.
St Giles Cathedral - on the Mile. Scene of Jenny what?shername?s tantrum. Crown tower
Parliament House - where the big wigs hang out (what a terrible pun)

Gladstone?s Land, -mediaeval close off the High Street(the Mile)
Plus there are great restaurants, pubs, gardens and parks. My favorite restaurant is The Marque. It is on Causewayside and the food is fantastic. The prices were quite reasonable considering the level of cuisine (about $35.00 per person including dessert). If it's atmosphere you like try The Witchery. The prices are a little steep, but the food is good and it's right beside the castle. (as far as atmosphere, the name says it all)

Other great restaurants include Stac Polly, Tuscan Square, Café Hub, Browns, Le Sept, Est Est Est, Bann?s, Henderson?s, the Kalpna, Viva Mexico, Shamiana, the Siam Erewan.

Other great pubs include the Café Royal, the Barony, Mathers, the Diggers (posh name the Athletic Arms), the Roseburn, Bert?s, and the Abbotsford.

This is a city heaving with museums. I believe I have mentioned the National Museum of Scotland and the Museum of Childhood. In addition there are:-
The National Gallery and Royal Scottish Academy
the National Portrait Gallery
The Gallery of Modern Art
The Dean Gallery
The Georgian House
The City Art Centre
The Fruitmarket Gallery,
The Collective Gallery
The Printmakers? Workshop

Or you can go to the Zoo; Dynamic Earth(mixed reviews- haven?t been myself), or the Botanic Gardens.

It?s awash with places to walk, sporting facilities, cinemas, theatres, music venues, and stunning architecture.