Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Edinburgh - opinions needed (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/edinburgh-opinions-needed-648938/)

semiramis Sep 25th, 2006 03:01 PM

Edinburgh - opinions needed

I have researched a bunch of Guesthouses for a friend who will be taking a VERY brief (3 day)side trip to Edinburgh while on business in London. She just called and wants to know what location would be "best".
I have given her a list guesthouses in her price range) in 3 basic locations:
Joppa - which I really like but it is not central
New Town
South of the Royal Mile
Do you think given her short time in the city that she would she be better off at one of the New Town guesthouses or just south of the Royal Mile. The Joppa guesthouses were the most reasonably priced (and cost is a factor).
Your opinions are appreciated - I don't want her to have just one - mine.
Thanks for the input.

hanl Sep 25th, 2006 10:08 PM

I'd say the New Town would be most convenient for sightseeing, etc., so that would be my number 1 choice.

Joppa is nice but it is a bit far out as you say, in fact I don't even think it's classed as being in Edinburgh.

South of the Royal Mile could be OK, but it really depends where you mean! Do you have a specific address? (I can think of some pleasant areas that fit that description but also some less nice areas).
So depending on price, I'd say first choice would be the New Town, second choice south of Royal Mile, third choice Joppa.

One more suggestion: Bruntsfield is a nice area that has loads of B&Bs and guesthouses, has good transport (plenty of buses), some nice shops and cafes, and isn't too far from the centre of town, so that might be worth looking into for your friend.

caroline_edinburgh Sep 26th, 2006 03:42 AM

Agree with hanl, basically. Are Bruntsfield & Morningside part of your 'area south of the Royal Mile' ? They are basically south of the west end of Princes St (and RM if it went that far). There are also lots of guesthouses in the areas south of the east end of Princes Street - Newington, Dalkeith Road etc. Personally I like Bruntsfield & Morningside better, & the buses are less scary :-) (speaking as one who's lived in Morningside & Newington)

amelie Sep 26th, 2006 06:04 AM

I've stayed in the Bruntsfield area before, and found it very easy to access Princess St, and the Royal Mile areas from it. Great busses etc.

This friend doesn't live in Cinci does she? I know someone in the exact same situation, with 3 days also, looking for a B&B.

semiramis Sep 26th, 2006 06:13 AM

Thx for your opinions. By south of the Royal Mile I basically meant the northern part of the Dalkeith road and the Bruntsfield area. I believe that at least one of the guesthouse listings (I should have kept my own copies -duh!) I gave her was in Bruntsfield - so I am going to let her know that this is a nice area. I have never stayed in that area myself - so it's good to get a recommendation. Some years ago I stayed near the Commonwealth pool - so I am somewhat familiar with the Dalkeith area and I stayed at Pollock Halls - MANY years ago. I think that area is getting a little too far south.
I am going to recommend that she choose one of the guesthouses in New Town or Bruntsfield.
Thx again.

SB_Travlr Sep 26th, 2006 11:03 AM

Don't know what price range you are in, but we had an excellent stay at 2 Cambridge St -- see my review in "Scotland's the Best" thread.

It's in sight of the castle, close to Sheraton and Caledonian Hilton, near Shandwick Place, and an easy walk to lots of places.

semiramis Sep 26th, 2006 12:03 PM

Looks like a lovely place! But a bit beyond her price range. Her max is about 50 pounds. I will pass it on to her though.

steviegene Sep 26th, 2006 12:05 PM

SB TRAV
We are going to Edinburgh in a week!
And we're staying at 2 Cambridge! We havent heard much about it, can you tell more about your stay?

SB_Travlr Sep 26th, 2006 01:39 PM

Stevie, excellent choice! See my "Scotland's the best" trip report posted here today for details. (Click my name to bring up the links). We loved 2 Cambridge...

Dashing home now, let me know if you need more info.

almcd Sep 29th, 2006 10:52 AM

There are loads of nice B.and Bs.in the Murrayfield area, which is close to the centre. Try "Bed and Breakfast,Murrayfield, Edinburgh" on Google and you will see what I mean.