Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Edinburgh hotel: Intercontinental George or Apex international? Last minute Tattoo tickets?

Search

Edinburgh hotel: Intercontinental George or Apex international? Last minute Tattoo tickets?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2004, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I have an opportunity to go to Scotland the second week of August. I didn't realize that this was such a busy and fun filled time in Edinburgh where I had hoped to visit for our stay. Since there are not that many deals to be found, I do have one for either the Intercontinental George Hotel or the Apex International (slightly more expensive), but I need to book them ASAP!! Any opinions?
Also, the tattoo is sold out but the website says you may be able to get resale tickets during that time. Does anyone know what the chances are and how you go about doing that?
Thanks so much in advance.
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 02:57 PM

Both hotels are good - depends on your taste which one you'd prefer. The George is a traditional quite grand hotel on George St which is the start of the New Town (New Town being Georgian in case you're not familiar with Edinburgh). George St is full of boutiques and trendy bars/restaurants. The Assembly Rooms, one of the main Fringe festival venues, is on George St. The hotel is within walking distance of most of the main tourist attractions.

The Apex on the other hand is a more modern hotel and I believe some of the rooms have stunning views of the castle. The Apex is in the Grassmarket which is slap bang in the middle of the old town with the castle, the Royal Mile and Holyrood Palace on your doorstep. Only possible downside to the Apex is that the Grassmarket and nearby Cowgate area is full of bars and gets very lively at night. This may or may not be your scene. Having said that the whole of Edinburgh during the festival is very lively!

I wouldn't worry too much about which one to go for as they are both in excellent central locations and I'm sure you won't be disappointed with either. There's so much to do in Edinburgh during the festival you won't be in your hotel very much!

Sorry, but I can't help with the tattoo tickets - stangely, not many locals go to the tattoo!
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 04:29 PM

Hi Kidsnp
We will be in Edinburgh at the beginning of August & realized that our stay coincides with start of the Military Tattoo. We tried to get tickets through our hotel's concierge but had no luck so we searched for tickets via Ebay & started bidding on an auction for the date we wanted. We won the auction (heavy bidding in the last few minutes!) - paid a premium but figure its worth it for the unique experience. The auction ended on a Saturday & we had tickets via mail from the seller in Scotland the following Friday. Here's the link to the ebay site: http://search.ebay.com/Edinburgh-Mil...ts_W0QQfromZR7
Good luck & enjoy your trip - we should compare notes!
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 04:57 PM

Do try your hardest to get the tickets. The Tatoo was amazing.

A few years ago when I went to Scotland with my mother she managed to get tickets from (I belive) AAA. It's worth a try. If you do find tickets and get to choose your seats try for the center - it's the best viewing area. Also, rent the seat cushions! Your butt will thank you.

For what it's worth I didn't see any scalpers selling tickets before the performance.
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 08:10 PM

For tattoo tickets you would be better booking an overnigt tour as the agency,s have block reservtions, try concierge-desk.com . or hardingstours.co.uk
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 11:32 PM

I slightly disagree with Alison on the hotels. I'd take either, you understand, but the George is abut a memory of it's grand past. Admittedly it's about 4 years since I last stayed there, but it was run down and .....just past its prime
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 09:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree with Sheila re the George. Unless it's been completely refurbished quite recently, then it's pretty run down and well past its prime. The location IMO is slightly better than the Grassmarket.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 12:13 PM

I am going to Edinburgh Aug 18-23 and have tickets to the Sat Tattoo with the fireworks afterwards. I got my ticket months ago on the Tattoo website and paid about $32 US. This will be my first trip to Scotland and would welcome any suggestions. This is one time I haven't worked out a real itinerary, I guess because it is a brand new place. I usually have it all planned. Except for the Tattoo and tea at the Balmoral, I have no real itinerary but of course want to see the Castle. Has anyone been to the whiskey tour? I am staying at the Cairn hotel for 58 pounds/night - I found the hotels very expensive during festival but am staying at Dalhousie Castle my last night.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 12:31 PM

Email me, Vicky, and I'll send you some stuff.

It's all on here, if you want to use the search function (grrrrr!)
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 01:48 PM

Sheila & Barbara,

I walk past the George Hotel every day and it doesn't look run down at all. I know it was getting past its best but I'm sure I recall seeing the decorators in not that long ago, perhaps last year sometime. I can't vouch for the guest rooms but they look pretty good on their website.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 04:07 PM

What days will you be in Edinburgh? I have two extra tickets for the Tattoo that I would like to sell - Tickets are for the evening of the 18th of August -
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who responded. Missjoice, I would LOVE to take you up on your offer but we will be there the second week of August. Perhaps ebay IS the way to go! thanks again
pat
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 09:05 PM

If you are having trouble finding a place to stay in Edinburgh, might I suggest you try to base yourselves out of nearby Stirling? There are buses and trains to Edinburgh throughout the day and they take only about an hour, if I recall correctly. You may be able to save yourself a little money, or at least have a marginally better chance of finding a vacant room.
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for everyone's' help. The good news is that we do have a place to stay in town but I still am having NO luck with tattoo tickets. I've lost a bid on ebay already because of crazy prices so we may have to wait and see if something turns up. I am now looking at ticket agencies and even though they will be expensive as well, there just aren't tickets around right now. I just bought my scotland books today and am getting very excited. Usually I plan everything out months in advance so this is a new adventure for me!
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 06:14 PM
Chloe_D

After reading all of these messages, my daughter is now saying she'd like to see the TATTOO!!!! We will be there on opening day - August 6th. I looked on eBay and didn't see 3 for our date. Does anyone have any other ideas???

kidsnp - where did you find a place in Edinburgh in town. I'm still looking and have been emailing every place I could find. If we have to, we'll stay out of town, but we really do want to stay in town.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 06:55 AM
JPP

If you are still looking for Tattoo tickets - try a Tour Director - I am one - the Tour Operators buy the tickets in bulk and hope to sell a full coach, this does not always happen. When the bus arrives give the Tour Director time to do their job and quitely ask if they have spare tickets to sell - we usually do - Good Luck - I will be there August 5th 2006