Edinburgh Festival Fringe

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need help! We are a family of 5, (DS age 22, DD age 20, DD age 17) and we will be in Edinburgh for 3 nights, Aug 5 to 8, as part of a larger trip. We are staying at a hotel on the Royal Mile (Missoni) and are excited to be there during the Festival Fringe. I thought it would be a good idea to purchase tickets to a few events early, and I paid to become a "Friend of the Fringe" in order to take advantage of 2 for 1 tickets, But I am overwhelmed by the choices on the performances and can't find much info about the various venues as I want to stay within walking distance. You Fodorites are always so knowledgeable and helpful--can anyone advise me on how to navigate these choices? Is there a map of the venues? Are there websites that rate the performances from previous years? Maybe my questions will be answered when I receive the Program via snail mail, but the website just is not that helpful. Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 13th, 2011, 06:02 PM

can't speak much to locations but you do know that a Fringe Festival changes from year to year, right? And it's a lottery of performers/groups that apply so they range from funny to sad to terrible...so knowing who performed last year won't be much help....

The local papers online should have previews closer to the festival.

That said I think you can't go wrong w/ the following "big names" and/r comedy performances.

ig names at this Fringe appear on and off stage, John Malkovich directs Julian Sands in a Celebration of Harold Pinter (Pleasance) and Mark Ravenhill returns as writer and director with Ten Plagues(Traverse) starring Soft Cell singer Marc Almond. Diane Quick (Midnight Your Time), Art Malik (Rose), Bobby Crush (Liberace: Live From Heaven) Simon Callow (Tuesday at Tesco) and Gerda Stevenson (Federer and Murray) will all be appearing on stages across the city. Internationally celebrated performer Barbara Morrison, who has toured with Ray Charles, brings Barbara Morrison - Up On The Roof(The Outhouse) to Edinburgh.

A host of top names in comedy make their annual pilgrimage to Edinburgh. Sarah Millican returns with Sarah Millican - Thoroughly Modern Millican at Assembly which is also the venue for Al Murray's Compete for the Meat and fans can see Ed Byrne: Crowd Pleaser at the EICC. Fringe favourite David O'Doherty will be at the Pleasance with David O'Doherty is Looking Up. Peep Show and White’s Isy Suttie brings Pearl and Dave (Pleasance), Ruby Wax brings Losing It (Underbelly). Kristen Schaal of Flight of the Conchords, Daily Show and Penelope Princess of Pets fame, returns with Kurt Braunohler in Hot Tub with Kurt and Kristen. Cult comedy fans can see Tim and Eric performing at Assembly.
Old Jun 13th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks mztery ...have never even been to Scotland nor to the Fringe, so it is helpful to know it is a lottery so we'll do our research. And thanks for the tip regarding local papers. Will check those periodically as it gets closer.
Old Jun 13th, 2011, 06:27 PM

Also, there are performers lining the Royal Mile, rain or shine, with all kinds of acts during the Fringe. You can just stand there and watch and then move on to the next. There are some really "interesting" people roaming around during the Fringe. It is super crowded, but fun.
Old Jun 13th, 2011, 07:22 PM

Here is the venues map for 2009. It may not be complete for this year but is does show you locations and distances (but not elevation and hills!)--

http://www.edinburghfestivalmap.co.uk/

And here is a listing of this year's venues--

http://www.edinburghguide.com/festival/fringevenues
Old Jun 13th, 2011, 11:25 PM

There is a major change to the venues for 2011 - The Assembly Rooms are closed and most of their productions have moved to George Square which is immediately to the south of Teviot Square where three of the other main companies have their bases.

As to what to see - my definites are Fascinating Aida & Pajama Men.

But normally I would read the reviews, see what is available at the Half Price Hut or just decide at the last minute. Whatever you do DON'T overplan

I'd also check out what is happening at the International Festival and the Book Festival
Old Jun 14th, 2011, 04:25 AM

I would agree with Alanrow about not overplanning,unless they are the real big stars then tickets for 100's of events won't be sold out.Part of the fun of past Festivals was just going along to a venue and seeing the show that was on,but it is getting to expensive for that these days even the cheap shows are £12-15 for an hours show.
There are small satges on the Royal mile ,about 100-200 yards from where you are staying and many performers will be doing small exerts of their shows,if you fancy any just get the flier (don't worry tou WILL get a flyer) and go along to the show if you fancy it.There are lotrs of street theatre on as well and it it great fun,just hope the weather is nice.
I have some time off work later in the Festival and am just going along and pick shows on the day if I can..
Worth going to the Plesance Venue early on as you can get free tickets for some of the BBC shows that are recorded there,I have been to quite a few of these over the years and they have been great fun,I first saw Omid Djalili the Irainian/english comic there long before he became famous.
It is a great place for a few days but does get hectic but you are right in the midst of things and I am syre you will have a great time.
Shows to avoid are the ones that say "written,produced,directed by and starring..........."
Old Jun 14th, 2011, 05:07 AM

A shameless plug for the play my son is in! Funny as a Crutch, by Rich Orloff.
To be more open-minded however, if you follow the link backwards, you will see the venue's full schedule!

http://www.paradise-green.co.uk/2011...e/details/659/
Old Jun 14th, 2011, 05:58 AM

You've already gotten the good advice regarding research and flexibility, I just wanted to bring up another point.

Take full full advantage of this wonderful cultural opportunity and try for 2-3 ticketed events a day (you'll have time to squeeze in the tourists sights around them with your three days). You mentioned this is part of a larger trip - you can slow down a little once you leave Edinburgh.

You all are going to have a BLAST!
Old Jun 14th, 2011, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone! I have not had time to follow all the links and digest all of the wonderful information you've shared, but I knew I'd get great advice...thanks again!