Edinburgh Festival

Old May 8th, 2001, 11:02 AM
steve

Edinburgh Festival

Who has been to Edinburgh in August and can tell us what it's like being there during the Edinburgh festival?? I'm planning a trip to England and Scotland and would like to know whether it's worth doing the festival or if it's too crowded or maybe it's just not worth the time.

Old May 8th, 2001, 11:18 AM
John

Crowded, yes. Worth it, yes.

Old May 8th, 2001, 11:39 AM
steve

thanks, John.

Is it convenient using the train to get from London to Edinburgh??

Old May 8th, 2001, 11:50 AM
John

Steve:
The train ride from London Kings Cross takes about 4 1/2 hours to Edinburgh and costs 36 Pounds Sterling round trip per person Standard Class. We took the 7am departure arriving at 11:35am.
Well worth it. See www.thetrainline.com.
John

Old May 8th, 2001, 11:59 AM
xx

I've been the to Art Festival in Edinburgh in August, 1996. It was wonderful. The whole city was alive w/ plays, musical performances, street parades. Many of these venues were held in pubs and restaurants throughout the city. Well worth it!

Taking the train from London to Edinburgh is easy. That's what I did since I flew into London, spent 2 days there, then took the train to Edinburgh. Very clean and safe.

Old May 8th, 2001, 12:56 PM
Judy

Hi Steve, we are going to Festival and Tattoo performance in August this year. I love cities with cultural events(like Spoleto) and this is supposed to be one of the best. They also have there Book Festival then.... it will be quite a feast for the senses IMO!

Old May 8th, 2001, 01:00 PM
Judy

Check out the site:
edinburghfestivals.co.uk

Old May 8th, 2001, 01:14 PM
Ben Haines

Fodors

Dear Mr Glickman,

I agree with all that's been said: it is a magic place in August.

A warning: many hotels and hostels are full already. I'm afraid you need to decide now whether to book -- or at least whether to book, with the thought in the back of your mind that you can always release the booking, as there are more visitors than beds. If you delay you'll find yourself staying in Glasgow !

The day train is handy. Quite an experience is to book a berth in the night train, fairly cheap if you book an Apex ticket with Scottish Rail now. So long as you sleep well on trains you can have full day in London, then at eight step from your sleeper and start a full day in Edinburgh.

Please write if I can help further, or for detail on the night trains. Welcome to Britain.

Ben Haines, London

Old May 8th, 2001, 01:29 PM
kam

Hello, Ben. We will be in Berwick-upon-Tweed in early September (thus no festival) but plan to take the train into Edinburgh for a day trip. Do you have an opinion on this? Might this be an alternative for Steve if he can't find accomodations in Edinburgh itself? Just a thought.

Old May 8th, 2001, 02:57 PM
Tony Hughes

Plenty of rooms available outside of Edinburgh, be it to the south in midlothian, north over in Fife or west in west lothian. If you can bear not to stay in the city in august then it's perfect.

Please note: Prices of consumables in Edinburgh in August are 50-100% higher than most of the rest of the year.

Tony Hughes, New York

Old May 8th, 2001, 06:52 PM
Ben Haines

Fodors

For Kam: As Mr Hughes says, you can stay in any direction an hour or so outside Edinburgh. This includes Berwick, an hour away, but at weekends your last train home is at 2100 or even 1900. There may be a later bus. So West Lothian or even Glasgow are better choices.

I find prices for restaurants, travel, groceries, "The Scotsman" and so on the same at Festival time as any other time.

Ben Haines