Edinburgh dilemma: free suburban hotel vs. central city hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For our upcoming visit to Scotland, we plan to spend 3 days in Edinburgh, Aug 3-6, just prior to the start of the festival activities. We were planning to use Marriott Rewards points for a free stay at the Dalmahoy Golf Club/Resort near the airport but it seems public transit to/from the city isn't so hot and we didn't rent a car. For about $225, we can reserve a deluxe room at The Glasshouse boutique hotel which seems to get great reviews on most boards and is pretty centrally located. So, do we take the free room and just cab to/from the city center or spend the $700 and stay downtown?
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 11:30 PM

The Dalmahoy gets a pretty good name. You can get a lot of cab rides for $700
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 11:39 PM

"we didn't rent a car"

You can always decide to rent one between now and Aug. You don't really need one - but for 4 days a car might come in handy.

Staying in the center is convenient - but Dalmahoy is very nice and being outside the city it has easy road access to the airport and areas you might want to explore by car.
Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 12:04 AM

Don't, for heaven's sakes, hire a car for teh city. If you want a trip out of town it would be useful, but Edinburgh is NOT car friendly
Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 12:44 AM

Sheila, is Edinburgh car friendly on Saturday morning? What is the best time to get out of the city? My brother is renting a car on Saturday in the end of July before his trip to the Highlands. He never driven on the left side.
Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 02:28 AM

Mama, it's nothing to worry about. To avoid traffic, the earlier the better, even ona Saturday- there is, at least, no rush hour
Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 03:08 AM

I realize Sheila is the Scotland expert; and I agree that once you are in the city public transit is best for point-to-point travel. However, you should not let her second response alarm you. Several years back we stayed outside the city in Humbie during August and had no trouble driving in and finding available parking lots every day. Subsequently, we have returned several times, always with a car, and had no trouble with either the traffic or finding parking. Like many big cities it has a rush hour that is best avoided, but I do not consider it worse than other cities of its size. My normal "home" city is Nashville, Tennessee, and Edinburgh is definitely no worse than downtown Nashville on a Saturday night.
Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 04:43 AM

To clarify my comment that Sheila seems to have jumped on -- you most certainly do not need a car for Edinburgh and you probably won't want to drive in the city any time in August. But since you will be there for 4 days a car could come in very handy for a day trip outside Edinburgh and just for exploring the area near Dalmahoy. It is not well served by public transport so w/o a car you will pretty much be limited to the city centre and the hotel by cab.
Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the comments so far! I should have been more clear in my original post. We don't want to drive but would rent a car if necessary. I generally prefer public trans/taxi over driving while on vacation and (this probably sounds a little silly) I've never driven in Europe and especially on the left side of the road! However, the idea of a car is appealing in some respects since we go to Glasgow after Edinburgh.

My big concern with the Dalmahoy is that it's just too remote. We don't golf, either, and I can't quite ascertain how much of a "golf resort" it is. The price (free!) is certainly right but I'm still leaning towards a city center hotel.

By the way, any comments on the Glasshouse? We can also get the George Intercontinental for the same price.

Thanks for your time and comments so far! Very helpful.
Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 05:19 AM

The George is very faded grandeur.

I've not stayed inthe Glasshouse. the one time I asked about it I was put off by the price. I was able to get a room in the Balmoral for less!

(I didn't take either in the end)
Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Sheila, do you recommend any other hotels? So far, I've found Glasshouse and the George for GBP130. Balmoral is 200+. Drats.
Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

Posted too fast on my last one. Channings is also GBP130 and gets good reviews. Is it too far from the City Center? It's difficult to tell from websites/maps!
Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 06:36 AM

In this class in the town centre, I'd look at the Holyrood, the Crowne Plaza and the Point; maybe the Apex in the Grassmarket

I'd look for deals at the Caledonian, the Balmoral and the Scotsman
Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 08:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
John, Channings is not far from the city center. It's a very easy ten minute stroll at the most and even though you're walking beside a very busy road, it's attractive and pleasant. If you follow the road all the way, it takes you to the West End, but you can cut through to Queen Street or Charlotte Square. Alternatively, there is a bus stop where you can get a bus to almost anywhere you want to go in the city.

There was a bus stop right outside the gate to Dalmahoy where you could catch a bus into Edinburgh. However, it is pretty remote and could be difficult to get back to late at night, other than by cab. If you're not into golf, then you might be more comfortable biting the money bullet and staying in a more central location.

Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 08:38 AM

John:

We just stayed at the Apex International in the Grassmarket area. We had 2 kids with us and the room was 130/night. Breakfasts were very good and the hotel was very modern and clean. Our windows looked out on the castle - an absolutely beautiful view! We really enjoyed it and it was much cheaper and better than many of the other places we stayed.

Steve
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 01:30 AM

A wee word of warning about the Glasshouse - it is right next door to a new entertainment complex - cinemas, chain bars & restaurants and a nightclub. It might not be the sights you were hoping to see, especially late at night. There's no trouble that I know of but it's just not everyone's cup of tea.

Channings is situated in a lovely part of town (I'm biased - I live round the corner) but it is not so central as the Glasshouse or the George. I ate in their restaurant a few weeks ago and it wasn't so good.

Dalmahoy is too far out of town if you are wanting to spend your 3 days doing the Edinburgh sights. Although as Sheila said you can get a lot of taxi rides for $700 you won't have the convenience of a city centre hotel. Also, late at night it's not always easy to get a taxi so it would be best to be within walking distance of your hotel.

The George is a lovely old hotel in a superb central New Town location. I haven't been in the rooms for a long time but their public areas are very grand.

Let us know which hotel you decide on. Happy to help with sightseeing info/restaurant recommendations.
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 04:20 AM

Although the Glasshouse is supposed to be very nice, the rooms are actually *on top* of the entertainment complex, plus it is on a busy roundabout in an area of town which can be quite rough at night. I wouldn't stay there.
There is another Marriott, on Glasgow Road, so presumably you could stay there free ? It's just a modern chain-type hotel but on a vg bus route betwen the airport and the city centre.
I live in Edinburgh and think that people who drive into the centre should be shot.
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Good news! I booked The Scotsman Hotel at a rate just a little higher than the Glasshouse. This seems to be a more upscale hotel and the location is pretty good from looking at a map! Comments? Thanks so much for all of your help!
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 06:00 AM

Well done - great hotel in a superb location - very close to the old town (well practically in it), the New Town, the shops, the castle etc. The two restaurants in the hotel are supposed to be good although there are plenty of places to eat outside the hotel. Look at The List website www.thelist.co.uk for eating suggestions.

You will love Edinburgh!!
Old Jul 11th, 2004, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Last question re: hotels, I promise! It's down to the Glasshouse and the Scotsman. Have reservations at each but need to cancel one ASAP so I'm not holding a room that someone else can use.

I've noted Caroline's comment about the Glasshouse location. It's about $50 less than the Scotsman, which doesn't have air conditioning. (Not usually a problem, I know, but we were also in London's heatwave last summer and it wasn't pretty!)

Any other comments?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -