Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Edinburgh City Centre Hotel (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/edinburgh-city-centre-hotel-352463/)

paulinbermuda Aug 27th, 2003 12:20 PM

Edinburgh City Centre Hotel

We are travelling to Edinburgh to celebrate a friends 30th and would like to stay in a good hotel in the centre of the city. I can get a good rate on the Crowne Plaza - any thoughts on this? Or any other suggestions - would prefer slightly modern hotel which attracts a younger crowd if possible.

indytravel Aug 27th, 2003 12:43 PM

I stayed at the Apex International in the Grassmarkt area a couple of years ago. It is a more modern hotel. I was able to get a good rate on a room with two double beds so 4 of us could stay. It seemed to attract a younger crowd. In fact there was a wedding reception there one of the nights we stayed. I really liked the location. You looked right up at Edinburgh Castle that was looming way up over your head.

Since I've stayed there they've opened the newer Apex City hotel practically next door.

www.apexhotels.co.uk

John71cove Aug 27th, 2003 01:54 PM

We stayed at The Balmoral. It's located adjacent to the Waverly train station. Right in the heart of Edinburgh. Not cheap though.
John

sheila Aug 27th, 2003 05:21 PM

The Crown Plaza's pretty good. Good sized room. Great location. I tend to stay tehre when someone else is paying

ben_haines_london Aug 27th, 2003 11:39 PM

On North Bridges, above the station, the more expensive Carlton and the less expensive Scotsman are both well placed, five minutes from the Royal Mile one way and from Princes Street on the other.

[email protected]

paulinbermuda Aug 28th, 2003 08:23 AM

Have any of you heard about The Glasshouse Hotel? I've heard its brand new this year - just wondering what its like.

leeg Aug 28th, 2003 09:00 AM

Just stayed at the Crowne Plaza. Excellent location on the Royal Mile.

Barbara Aug 28th, 2003 09:26 AM

I think you'll find that the Scotsman hotel is more expensive than the Carlton. The Crowne Plaza is very nice.

Somebody posted a trip report a couple of weeks ago which included a review of the Glasshouse. This new boutique hotel sounds very, very nice - and I'll bet Sheila has already booked for rugby internationals! - but it's not right in the centre of town. All the others which have been mentioned are much more central.

Jack Aug 28th, 2003 03:19 PM

Probably the most appealing modern hotel in the city center is the Sheraton Grand. Make sure you ask for a view of the castle. Otherwise, I would go with either the Balmoral or Caledonian, both of which are old, but were fully renovated the last time I stayed there.

sheila Aug 28th, 2003 10:08 PM

I was being stupid and didn't take in the bit about "younger crowd"

the Apex in the Grassmarket is better than the Crown Plaza for that IMHO. The other option is the Point

None of the others are young people's hotels, however good they may be.

I haven't tried the Glasshouse yet (I never stay in hotels when the rugby's on- too scary). It's pretty central, Barbara- just at the top of Leith Walk- and I'll probably try it the next time I'm in Edinburgh for a Board meeting

Barbara Aug 29th, 2003 09:11 AM

Sheila, I thought the Glasshouse was that little boutique near Murrayfield. I must be confused - so rare! Oh, I just booked our plane tickets, so we're really coming!!

karenabs Aug 29th, 2003 09:41 AM

Couple of time we've stayed at Mount Royal, on Princes Street, next to Jeners Department Store, wonderful location.